External Hardrive Died

So i bought a Western Digital Passport Essentials 250gb about 1 months ago. About 1 weeks ago i plugged it in and it started clicking! So i went camping and came back to back it all up to send it away to get repaired,so i plug it in and it wont spin up :mad:.

Any Suggestions on how i can get my stuff off of it WITHOUT Voiding warranty?

Call WD and tell their sorry asses to get it? I've heard of a year, but a month for an external? That's pretty sad. They may have a disclaimer for themselves that excuses them of retrieving any data from a failed device.

And unfortunately, all the data recovery programs I know of require the device to be spinning. Even then it's not like your data is deleted - Just inaccessible.

Usually, if an external drive dies, it is only the enclosure that has really died, and you can just plug it into the computer internally if you open it (the enclosure) up.

I Might try and get the hardrive out of the enclosure,any idea's how to without breakin it?

EDIT; Strange,So i finally got it to work but using a Y-USB Cable,So it must be a power issue? But it came with a standard USB Cable but it wont work with that anymore?

I Think im going to get everything off it and get my money back.

They usually just use Phillips-head screws, but I guess you don't even need that now, seeing as you've got it working.

Back
Top Bottom