New Case Fans

JayMiller8080

In Runtime
Ok, This may sound really dumb, and I could just be an idiot, but it's my first build so try to go easy on me.

I have a Cooler Master Storm Scout case and I decided I'd rather have blue LED fans than red ones, so I figured why not do it? The issue I'm having is in the cables.

The stock LED fans have a 4-pin connector housing (with only 2-pins in it? maybe the 4-pin connection is split two ways for power and the on/off?) which I assume goes to the power supply, as well as a 2-pin connection which from what I can tell converges with the other fans 2-pin wire, and goes to the front panel for the On/Off button.

The new LED fans I have, from Apevia, have only two 4-pin connections (male/female). Just to ask a really dumb question, why both male/female? Also is there any way I can get the one that isn't going to the power supply to run through some sort of adapter or something in order to connect it to the 2-pin wire running to the front panel for the On/Off? I would hate for that button to do nothing. =[

Thank you for any help that can be offered.

The connectors your on about are molex connectors usually found on power connectors from PSU's. They find their way on fans now as an alternative way to power them. Only two pins are required to power the fan, 12V and 0V.

And some will come with both male and female connectors so you don't waste one molex to power a fan. That way you can power the fan from the PSU and still power another item with the male connector.

EDIT:

Hang on. Do you have a front panel fan controller?

To answer your edit, I do not have a front panel controller for the fan speed. It is simply an on/off switch for the LEDs on the fans.

For the rest of your reply, it didn't really address the issue of having one of those 4-pin molex connectors run into the tiny little 2-pin thing that runs to the front panel for the on/off switch. The problem is that one cable needs to power it, and the other needs to connect to a male 2-pin end. All of the adapters I find have male ends, and what I need is a female.

Do they make this?
Does my logic even make sense? :confused:

There's no adaptor that you can connect to the new fans you have brought that will enable you to power the LED's and the Fan separately. With the new fans you have aquired the LED's are wired internaly to the fan circuit board. So when the fan runs the LED's will emit too.

You'll need to find fans, like the ones that came with the case, that have separate fan power and LED power connections, to enable to switch the LED's on and off.

Back
Top Bottom