amd athlon x4 620 still freezing

btcchris

Baseband Member
my current set up is...

msi k9n2 platinum mother board
nvidia 8800gt oc
450w power supply
amd athlon II x4 620 2.6 ghz (aiming for 3.0ghz)

this is the oc i set up in the bios

13x multiplier
231.3 bus speed
1.425v
overclocked to 3006.4MHz

i tried this and ran prime 95 from what i understand i take my voltage at idle (1.448) and run it for 10 min and take the highest number shown (1.496) and find the difference and that is my voltage drop (0.048) witch is acceptable

the catch is it froze about 2 min into the test should i add more voltage ? i just turned it up to 1.450 i am getting a cpu-z reading of 1.472

another question would it be more stable if i lowered the multiplier and increased the bus speed? im thinking a 9x multiplier and 334 bus speed

i just increased the voltage to 1.450 and ran the same test vdrop was the same (.04) froze about 2 min into the test the only thing i noticed was my core temp went up to 60*c

amd states the cpu can operate safely up to 72*c

can not find a reason for this to be freezing and dont really understand why a oc of 400mhz is so hard to reach

Your voltage under full load should be lower than your voltage at idle. Here's what I suggest: Don't let your temps go above 65C. Higher "bus speed" (correct term is frequency) is actually harder to stabilize than higher multiplier. Odd numbered multiplier also slow down your RAM. I recommend you run a 10x multiplier and slowly raise your frequency. Start at 225 and go up by 5. Every time you increase it run P95 for 10 min. When it starts to crash, you take the last acceptable number and you test again, but this time raise by 1. Once you've maxed out your frequency you toy with that and your multiplier to find out your highest overclock. Try to run the highest frequency possible because that will help your RAM run faster. Don't forget to adjust your RAM voltage and tRFC to make sure it also overclocks with your processor. Your voltage should be fine up to 1.5V.

thats a good bit of information im going to try that...

i also went to comp usa and bought 4 gigs of ocz reaper 1066mhz ram (has the large heat sinks on them)

and bought a good psu 750w

and also bought a Ultra ChillTEC cpu cooler my idle temp went from 32* to 26* and i ran a stress test and it did not get above 34* and thats overclocked 200mhz

i figured before i rattle my head too much with this i would go and replace all the weak points that i see in the setup

i did what you said and ill be darned... 3.006ghz stable 12.0 multiplier 245 frequency and i increaced the voltage on my ram and its stable

3.5 coming soon hopefully lol

Here's what you do now. Raise the multiplier to 14, and drop the frequency so you still keep 3.0. This will lower the speed on your RAM, but will give you room to go to 3.5. As you approach 3.5 (by raising the frequency) your RAM speed will also increase.

Back
Top Bottom