Motherboard Replacement

smitch

Solid State Member
Hi all! I need to replace a motherboard but am pretty new to doing so. I'm not even sure if I can find one compatible still out there. It is from a HP Pavilion 513N. It is my mother's computer and she really doesn't use it much other than for browsing. The board doesn't really say much on it. The motherboard only had P4G533-LA marked on it and a search turned this up: P4G533-LA 845GL Chipset 400MHz Front Side Bus 256MB PC2100 DDR Memory. Can anyone lead me in a direction to find a replacement motherboard? I just don't think it is worth her sinking money into a new computer if she doesn't have to. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

You'll pay incredibly high prices to buy the same motherboard through a random/never heard of reseller or distributor for OEM builders (HP, Dell, etc).

It's a socket 478, with an 845G chipset. Supporting PC-2100 (DDR266) RAM.

The only socket 478 you can purchase new is from TigerDirect.com and NewEgg.com

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3290828&CatId=182

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138079

Through both options, you are way overpaying. You might be able to pick up a new 775 ITX build for less than it would cost you to buy that BIOSTAR plus the new RAM it would require.

EDIT: Ok, not exactly. But the way I see it: If you're buying a new board, you might as well go fresh. Rather than spend money on older technology. Then again, you may be budget limited. I'm just throwing out some options.

Thanks for all your help! I think I will just talk her into updating to a new computer. She doesn't need anything fancy since she doesn't do much.

Now, I'm planning on building one myself and would really appreciate ANY advice you guys can give me. I have done some minor stuff like replacing motherboards, installing ram, video cards, sound cards, dvd burners, etc. However, I have never done anything quite as extensive as building my own PC. So, if there is any forum you guys recommend to help me through this process, I would greatly appreciate it. Do you think it would be too hard for me to do considering my limited experience?

Thanks!

We are more than willing to help :D. It's actually a much more simple process or put it together. The harder part is designing the build. But we'll be able to walk you through that.

Now you say all she does is internet browse and email?

Yep that's about it and I just found out my nephew went out and bought her one.

However, I am talking about building one for me. :D My computer was custom built by a friend many years ago. I think it has held up better than any computer any of my family has purchased over the years. I have made my upgrades myself over the years. I have been thinking about trying to build a new one on my own but wasn't sure if I could do it without screwing something up and ruining parts, etc. I stumbled onto this site when trying to find that motherboard replacement and started reading how you guys have seemed to help others custom build their own. That got me thinking again about maybe giving it a shot.

I mainly use my computer for many things. I would say I'm looking for an 'all-in-one' kind of computer. I watch videos, listen to music, complete some work using excel and word, and would like to get back in to gaming. I used to play online years ago but then all the updates for games exceeded the minimum requirements on my set up so I gave them up telling myself I would eventually build a new one since upgrading components were obsolete.

I hope that gives you some ideas on what I'm looking for. If there are any other questions you may have to help me get started, fire away!

What's your budget? Do you need a new keyboard, mouse, monitor, operating system?

If you don't need a new monitor, what size do you have?

What kind of gaming do you do and how high do you normally like the settings in game?

I would need a new monitor and operating system. As far as gaming I think my last days of gaming were the Counter Strike days. So, it would be like learning all over again. Wouldn't have to be the best of the best as far as gaming goes, but something decent that could potentially be upgraded if needed. As far as a budget goes, I would like to keep it to between $1,000 and $1,500 if that's possible.

1000 is a great budget to work with :O. Hell you can go I7 with that kind of budget.

I'll work up a design tonight and I'm sure a few other members will chip in with a really good build.

Back
Top Bottom