No true privacy?

Ghuraba

Beta member
Hi...I have a question for those who know. I realize that nothing over the internet is completely private...even so with your computer...any files saved and then deleted are never truly deleted and can be found again...so I was wondering...is this the case with msn conversations as well? even though I did not click the option of saving conversations in the very beginning, are they still being saved? just somewhere I cannot see?

Not on your PC they won't, unless you've got some form of spyware / malware that's intercepting them.

If your ISP wanted though, they could track them and log them pretty easily. It's unlikely that's the case though unless you're one of the most wanted people in the country!

As for nothing being really private - that's really a whole separate debate. The long and short of it though is that while the only safe computer is one that's switched off and disconnected from any power source / network, it's perfectly possible to make things too hard to break with current technology for it to be worthwhile. Yes - you can brute force anything you want for instance and you'd eventually find out the password. But by eventually, this could take all the computing power in the world put together a few billion years!

It depends on what your ISP decides to keep on file; they're required by law to at least keep something on you in case law enforcement needs to view or monitor your internet activity in a criminal investigation, but for that they would need a warrant.
But, given how much people use computers these days, it's impossible for an ISP to log every single thing you do; and even then, they only keep the records for so long (unless they're Google. Google saves users' searches for 40 years).

As for this MSN thing you're talking about...chat and email/messaging sites usually keep detailed logs of conversations, just in case. I heard Facebook never erases profiles from their system.
Just don't worry about it, though. Unless you've shown up on America's Most Wanted, chances are nobody's that interested.

If you're worried about your hard drive, just break it or something.

Hi...I have a question for those who know. I realize that nothing over the internet is completely private...even so with your computer...any files saved and then deleted are never truly deleted and can be found again...so I was wondering...is this the case with msn conversations as well? even though I did not click the option of saving conversations in the very beginning, are they still being saved? just somewhere I cannot see?

To answer your question is YES, it would be saved in the cache files of your ISP but by privacy laws would not be possible to be viewed unless requested by you or Law Enforcement for Valid reasons, other than that i would not worry about it.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom