Hi guys, doing some optimizing.

llMutell

Beta member
Hey guys, it's christmas time, and i'd like to treat myself to some new parts. ;)

I did some research and I read that 64bit Vista Home Premium can
access up to 16GB RAM, is that true?

If so, would I benefit from having more than 4GB RAM?

I'd like a new graphics card too, any suggestions?
I'm thinking Geforce 9600 or 260GTX or something..

I'm going to buy some parts or something to optimize my system for
gaming or something to that extent..

Here are my specs, if you need any other specs let me know..

HP (a6700y)
9150e Quad-Core Processor 1.80 GHz (Is this good for gaming?)
4GB RAM (DDR2)
Vista Home Premium(SP1) 64bit OS
nVidia GeForce 9500GT

Is there a SP2 out?
If so, should I get it?
(Sometimes thes updates mess with gamers' PCs)

I used CPUid, it has alot of stuff about my clocks, but i'm not too familar with any of that.

So, any suggestions/compatibility ect?

Thanks
Mute

I believe all 64 bit versions can address upwards of 16GB of RAM. That is FAR beyond what a "gamer" needs right now. Not only that, I'm pretty sure your board can only support 8GB max. 4GB is the most you'll need for a good time to come. A 2x2 kit is the sweet spot most likely PC2-6400 (DDR2-800).

What kind of gaming do you normally do? Like to play all the latest games on medium to max and all that?

What size monitor do you have?

I'm not aware of a Service Pack 2 for Vista, but then again, I'm on XP so I can't say for sure.

I can't very well explain everything within CPU-Z, because there is a lot! But if you have questions on a specific part, I'm more than willing to answer them.

Vista Home Premium 64-bit can support up to 128GB, actually.

And that processor will not perform to well in games, its a low end gaming machine if that.

You first want to upgrade your PSU, and then your CPU before yo upgrade your GFX card if you don't want a bottleneck.

What kind of gaming do you normally do? Like to play all the latest games on medium to max and all that?

What size monitor do you have?

I play the newest games, usually on their highest settings.
Spore, Dragon Age, Divinity, Men of WarRT

I'm on a 36" HDTV, or are there other specs to the monitor?

You first want to upgrade your PSU, and then your CPU before yo upgrade your GFX card if you don't want a bottleneck.

Alright, so when upgrading my powersupply, I can buy any one?
If I go to best buy and get a 550W psu will it be compatible with my pc, or what determines if it compatible? Suggestions?

As far as upgrading my CPU, does that involve replacing my motherboard all together? I'm not too sure what the process is at all, but i'm willing to do it.

Thanks..
Mute

Since you board supports AM2, you can easily get ahold of a PhenomII quad core processor.

Make sure the power supply is ATX. really, your CPU and GPU are main determining factors for what wattage power supply you should purchase. Also, 12v rail + amperage needs to meet the requirement of the graphics card you intend to purchase.

^^
To put it in simpler terms. If you buy something good, and not a cheap piece of...... Then it will MOST LIKELY exceed your graphics card's needs.
Look for something from OCZ or Corsair in the 500-600 watt category.

I also suggest Ultra's PSU's. They make excellent quality power supplies with a LIFETIME warranty and sufficient amperage per the wattage. Not to mention they are cheap! 750w goes for 49.99 I believe.

I managed to get a hold of an evga 9800gt this year at Fry's. I play dragon age and all the newest games maxx settings on my 32in monitor: dirt 2, nfs, sims3, cod4. If you have pc6400ram i doubt you should get better ram at the moment but that video card is cheap and it handlez!

I only have 3gigs of ram right now and have no problem running any of the new games with that card and this memory.

Thanks guys, if I got this would it work with my board?

As far as upgrading my CPU, would anyone mind providing a link to a good example product so I can get a price range.. someone mentioned a Quad something above, i'm going to google that..

Thanks again..

Back
Top Bottom