It's been a long year..

Austinn1

Daemon Poster
I am glad this year is closing to an end. I havent been around here much for those who noticed.

My grandfater died two months ago today. I was sick the previous week to this. I got behind in school. Now, I failed pretty much all my classes, lost all my financial aid for next semester. Im a B average student, always have been. It kind of sucks, I dont know how I will pay for college next semeter. Even though Im at a community college, I cant fork out the $2000 for tuition and books.
Side note, I blieve my College is crooked. I was passinbg my math class with a 76%, I recieved an F for the the course, meaning the Final exam dropped my grade 16%. The school has this "policy" that states: " So as long as the student has a 70% in the course, as long as he/she gets a 60% of better on the final, they will pass the course. I had a friend in the same class, he was recieving a 83% in the course, then he took a final, and he got a D- for the course. Something is fishy.

3 weeks after my grandpa died, I found out I need surgery on my foot. I had a bone sticking up and it was causing great pain. I had the surgery done last friday, Now, I cant put any weight on my foot for 6 weeks. My employer wouldnt let me take a leave of absence, so now, I am unemployed again.

Hopefully things will start looking up. I don;t like to complain much, but this really does suck.

Anyone else had a rough year? Share your stories/thoughts.

The school has this "policy" that states: " So as long as the student has a 70% in the course, as long as he/she gets a 60% of better on the final, they will pass the course. I had a friend in the same class, he was recieving a 83% in the course, then he took a final, and he got a D- for the course. Something is fishy.
Can you ask for the papers back to look at? Being maths the marking should be pretty clear cut (unlike say a more artistic subject where the marking could be more subjective) so if you've got a good case - you'll know it. That'd be the line I took if I suspected something was up anyway.

Sorry to hear that 2009 hasn't been too great forya. Hopefully 2010 will rock much more :)

Can you ask for the papers back to look at? Being maths the marking should be pretty clear cut (unlike say a more artistic subject where the marking could be more subjective) so if you've got a good case - you'll know it. That'd be the line I took if I suspected something was up anyway.

Sorry to hear that 2009 hasn't been too great forya. Hopefully 2010 will rock much more :)

The teacher wont answer emails of phone calls. Short of looking him up in the phone book and going to his house, I cant think of any other way to contact him. And he is the"head of the math department".

The teacher wont answer emails of phone calls. Short of looking him up in the phone book and going to his house, I cant think of any other way to contact him. And he is the"head of the math department".
If your teacher / head of the maths department won't answer then your next port of call should be to approach the college itself.

Average your scores for the year with out the final figured in. Then average your score with the final figured in. You'll see a staggering difference.
A final can make or break your average.

Average your scores for the year with out the final figured in. Then average your score with the final figured in. You'll see a staggering difference.
A final can make or break your average.

i did it how the teacher told us he would do it. Before the final, I had a 76%. Being that I dont have the final grade, I cant figure out my grade. But, I must of got less then a 60% on the final. Point is, its bullshit.

NOT saying my past year has sucked, its just been full of stress, and hard work..

broke up with my ex in june/july, sucked.
still hang out time to time, shes still cool.

graduated college in Oct.

Didnt get hired at my internship for a full time job after graduation due to the economy, they say.

Had to quit my part time job i worked at for 2 years to find a full time job to pay bills ect with.

Landed a temp job 40/hrs week at 10bucks an hour at Mitsubishi Electric, and i am in the QC department, i like the job, though its a bit stressing. Hope i get fully hired. Trying like hell for it.

My car needed a new motor in july, that was fun...

power steering broke a few weeks ago, fixed that.

Now that i make OK money, bills still seem to pile up...imagine that? lol. Especially college bills.

Anymore i just work, eat sleep, not much time for anything else...

Though for xmass and new years i get 4 days off! yes! lol. though it will kill my pay.

Im sorry for your Grandpa Austin :(

Final exam dropped my grade 16%
is that dropped your grade by, or dropped your grade to?

harsh as it sounds different things have different weights.

For example most course are modular, you'll have a module in pure maths, a module in statistics etc, say you have ten modules and 1 final exam of combined maths. you'd have thought that each of the eleven elements would be worth about 9% each of the final grade, but in reality the modular exams could only be worth 5%, with a 50% grading on that final exam.

this can work for or against you... I mean if you'd have a rough start to the year and gotten fairly low stats for the year, but aced the final you'd get a good mark...

when I was at uni, everything was divided into equal modules, with the exception of the final year project, which was worth three modules.

There were modules that lasted a whole semester involved doing 2 pieces of coursework, and a final written exam for the module. that were over all on the course worth the same weight as a fifteen minute interview where I had to present my project to course tutors.

you should have known this before you went into the final exam.

since your grandad dies, and you were in hospital etc, you should have also perhaps applied for some extenuating circumstances. that way you could have at least either had more time in the exam,

Back
Top Bottom