Firewire to USB? Interesting idea...

GhostGT

Daemon Poster
I've purchased two USB fans off of Amazon.com and will be placing them in my home theater cabinet downstairs. It gets awfully hot in there and I'll be using these two fans to move air.

Now, my cable TV box has two IEEE 1334 Firewire ports on the back. I'm considering purchasing some sort of adapter that will allow me to plug in my usb fans into these firewire ports, so that everytime the cable box is turned on, these two fans will automatically turn on also.

Questions, though:

1. Is there such a thing as a firewire to usb adapter that will work for my use? I've read threads where people say this isn't possible, but eBay has a TON of these.

2. I would technically need a FEMALE usb to MALE firewire port, correct? If the firewire port is in the cable box and the USB port will be plugging into a USB port. I'm just confused as to the type of adapter I'd need... can't really find the correct one anywhere.

Cheers,

Chris

2) yes

1) if they are a couple of bucks try em' in theory they should work due to the power
which is all that you would need
if those dont work then just splice some together just find the pin-outs and dont cross your wires
there will be no data transferred so it shouldnt be an issue

Actually, Firewire can push quite a bit more power than USB can.

edit: 25 watts, versus USB's 2.5 watts.

That's not exactly what we're discussing. This is about powering a fan via FireWire to USB conversion. This has nothing to do with data rates.

Back
Top Bottom