Senate back in session; vote expected on health care bill

Golden Master
(CNN) -- Senate Democrats braved the aftermath of a blizzard to continue their push to pass a sweeping health care bill before Christmas. Late Sunday night, the Senate went into a brief recess. The Senate resumed its legislative day at 12:01 a.m. ET Monday.
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/12/21/health.care.senate.vote/index.html

For viewers in the United States, CNN Domestic is the only news network in the United States covering the story.

Edit: Both Fox News and MSNBC are joining in. Watch it.

I hope to God this doesn't pass. IMO the government seems to be far too inefficient to be able to manage something like healthcare. I would like it to work, but no... I know it will end up being a huge money pit with only ~20% of the funds actually making it to where they should.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8423997.stm said:
The reform measure aims to extend health coverage to more than 30m people who currently lack health insurance.
total population of America currently stands at 300,000,000 (300 million).

strangely I never noticed how many people this affected.

when people are saying that this will only help 10% of the population, with the other 90% paying for it, they are neglecting to realise the amount of people this could actually help!

10% of the population is what, 5 states currently unable to get healthcare that would now be able to get healthcare.

10% of the population of America is roughly 50% of the UK population.

Its not gonna pass until next year. I guarantee it. Obama isn't signing without a public option, Congress won't put one in, and if they pass it now its a pocket veto and they'll have to start over. They are gonna perfect it as much as they can and vote next year.

Certainly not excited about this.

You and me both. :( :mad:

I hope to God this doesn't pass. IMO the government seems to be far too inefficient to be able to manage something like healthcare. I would like it to work, but no... I know it will end up being a huge money pit with only ~20% of the funds actually making it to where they should.

The government should legalize marijuana to counter the huge drain on our economy. Then they can make money off the marijuana sales. :p

Haven't we had this discussion? If it's legalized, closet growing will pick back up and the government can't tax that. There is simply no effective way to tax closet growers.

total population of America currently stands at 300,000,000 (300 million).

strangely I never noticed how many people this affected.

when people are saying that this will only help 10% of the population, with the other 90% paying for it, they are neglecting to realise the amount of people this could actually help!

10% of the population is what, 5 states currently unable to get healthcare that would now be able to get healthcare.

10% of the population of America is roughly 50% of the UK population.

Thank God. Someone else who realizes that not everything is about themselves. I for one would be happy to pay a little extra to make sure that everyone in this country is getting what they deserve. God this country has gone down the shit hole. I'm so sick of all this "everything for me Me ME ME ME" BS. It's getting old and it really pisses me off. No one does anything to help each other out anymore. If we do, it's publicly recognized so people see the people who are helping--that's not the point of serving others. Bah. I just don't even want to talk about it. We complain about so much shit in this country it's ridiculous. I have to deal with my dad watching CNN and MSNBC all day long bitching about it all. FFS, get over yourselves. See the world through the eyes of the people who don't have a food, a home, or frickin' healthcare.

Haven't we had this discussion? If it's legalized, closet growing will pick back up and the government can't tax that. There is simply no effective way to tax closet growers.

And don't let anyone tell you that "no one makes their own booze", because making booze is a lot more time consuming than growing a damn plant. Good rationale, Grant. If it was able to be all taxed, it would be a superb idea, but you are correct in the above assertion.

Sure there is, the same way they figured out how to tax alcohol and tobacco. I don't think closet growing will just pick back up, I think it'll go pro...

Sure there is, the same way they figured out how to tax alcohol and tobacco. I don't think closet growing will just pick back up, I think it'll go pro...

Exactly my point. If growing and selling marijuana is legalized, people won't be forced to sell to and between gangs. They will grow professionally and not have to worry about sanctions or getting caught and punished by the government. The entire national debt created by Obama could be eliminated in just his term alone. Think about it. A booming economy, brand new markets, reducing the tension between governments, everything. think of it.

Back
Top Bottom