Motherboard Problem

sherwood

In Runtime
I think my mobo is screwed but not 100% sure,

What happened was I came to put in a new HDD and I did a bit of cleaning inside and screwed somethings in that should have been done a while back. When I came to turn it on two of the fans span for a second and then went straight off with no power. So I did a lot of messing around by taking out various components like the hdd i put it, cd rom, ect. and some how it started to turn on all the time so I started putting things in one by one and the first thing i tried to put in was the same hdd and went off again so I disconnected it again and still it span for a second and that was it. but I went back to try it and it worked apart from nothing would show up on screen, but I could hear/see the fans moving. so i tried the hdd once more and it started again.

Now it seems I can put everything back in and it will still power everything but nothing will show up on screen and then after about 30 secs a big long beep started going. at first I thought it was the battery on the mobo so I changed it and still the same result, I even thought it was the onboard video card so i tried putting in my gfx card and worked fine, so I ruled out the on board graphics and the psu as if the psu wasn't giving out enough power as it wouldn't of powered my gpu. while doing all this the beep carried on.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Is your CPU AUX 12vEPS (P4 4pin) plugged in?
Is the CPU in the socket all the way?
Is the mainboard 20/24 pin ATX plugged in?
Try resetting CMOS. It may need to re-check the HW profile so it can adjust settings.

I tried re-setting the CMOS but as for the other two I don't have a clue what you mean lol, mind explaining a bit more.

The power plugs. Typically fans will run but the system will not boot.

Check all the power connections to the motherboard. There should be a 20 or a 24 pin plug going the the board. And a 4 or 8 pin connector near the CPU socket. They must be in all the way.

Just tried that and they're all in,

I even unplugged every thing on the board and re-plugged it back in to make sure.

thought i'd bump it once more before i go out and buy a new motherboard

I ounce took out the RAM just to see what would happen and I got a big long beep too. That could be the problem try checking the RAM.

Back
Top Bottom