Hard Drive

Pancake92

Baseband Member
I just have a quick question for everyone.

I am trying to hook up an Western Digital Scorpio 250GB Hard Drive (SATA) from my old laptop to my desktop which uses SATA connections. The connection types are both the same, but for some reason, I cannot access the drive because it does not show up in My Computer (even though it shows up in the BIOS). If anyone knows of a way to do this, I would appreciate all the help I can get.

Thank you,

Chris

I am hooking it up with the SATA cable and the power cable from the power supply.

Is it the only drive in the computer? If you are trying to install it as the main drive, it will not work. It still has the drivers from the laptop on it and will not allow you to boot the OS. You will either have to install it along with the original desktop drive and do a drive image or wipe it clean and do a clean install.

No. I am trying to add it to my computer. I already have the Seagate Barracuda 750GB hard drive on right now. I am trying to add it so I can get some information off it.

Ok. You may have to go into the bios and set it up as the second drive so it will be accessible. Normally sata components do not have to be assigned like the old EIDE stuff had to, but it may depend on the type of bios you have.

Let me back up a bit. So you are saying that you have both drives hooked up at the same time and you can't even boot into the OS?

My primary hard drive is what I am running right now. I am trying to get my other hard drive accessible so that I can boot off it. It does recognize it in the BIOS, but does not let me do anything to it.

So it does not show up in my computer? You need to reboot and go into the bios and find the boot sequence function. Make sure that the second drive that you installed is set to boot second or you may just have an option to turn on the sata connection that it is plugged into. Good Luck!!

Back
Top Bottom