Would like to buy a snowmobile...advice...?

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Well, I've got 6 weeks of for interim. I need something to do and I haven't had a snowmobile since I was like 5 and my dad had one. I really loved going out, but never bought one.

I'd like to spend $1000 or less. Fixing one up really isn't a problem since I'm pretty handy, but I need to know what to look for...i.e. brand, what are easiest to work on, which can you get parts cheapest and more readily for...that kinda stuff. I figured I'd ask here in case any northerners own a snowmobile and have any helpful advice.

Thanks guys!

i know this isn't contributing to what you asked but why not get a ATV/dune buggy of some sort? Those are really fun

Because from what I've heard from many, many people is that they are more expensive to buy and fix...there's a lot more that can go wrong with them. Plus, my dad used to work on his snowmobiles...he's never worked on an ATV, so there's no way I could do repairs myself. Plus, can you take an ATV through 2 or 3 feet of snow? I doubt it...you'd need a pretty spendy one. If you haven't noticed, I live in MN. And I live in the city. ATVs are outlawed in town. (as are snowmobiles, but what I'm saying is that I'd have no other use for an ATV...many people have them on farms...)

Don't get a triple. Artic Cat and Seadoo made some of the best sleds from what I hear. Until the late 90s, Yamaha was something to avoid from what I hear. Polaris are good as well.

Don't get a triple. Artic Cat and Seadoo made some of the best sleds from what I hear. Until the late 90s, Yamaha was something to avoid from what I hear. Polaris are good as well.

What's a triple?

Also, I've got experience with carbs. Should I avoid EFI? Should I stay newer than 199X? Or does the mileage matter more than the year? I guess, I'd like parts to be fairly available and cheap...soooo?

I was under the impression that Polaris and Arctic Cat were some of the best so I guess that's paralleled by your guys' responses.

Get a Cat, there beasts...

but get an ATV, more usefull all around lol.

and just because its a snowmobile, dosnt mean you cant get stuck in snow, remember that.

so, and 3 ft of snow isnt hard to handle with a decent 400CC + atv thats 4x4 and i just dont see why you would spend money on a machine that cant be used all year round.

You can't really go flying through ditches (in snow) at a decent speed with an ATV...I mean, there's a reason why people don't just get ATVs instead of snow mobiles around here. I wouldn't be able to use an ATV all year round anyways. It wouldn't even get used.

Back
Top Bottom