January 19, 2038

If 32-bit software isn't extinct in the next 5 years, then we deserve to have that problem.

I think this is different than the Y2K thingy because this will actually cause a problem. According to Wikepidia it already did on a AOL server so it's a legit thing.

Like I said though, if I'm still running 32-bit software in 5 years from now then I'll probably just throw all my computers away and never use one again.

If 32-bit software isn't extinct in the next 5 years, then we deserve to have that problem.

I think this is different than the Y2K thingy because this will actually cause a problem. According to Wikepidia it already did on a AOL server so it's a legit thing.

Like I said though, if I'm still running 32-bit software in 5 years from now then I'll probably just throw all my computers away and never use one again.

And I will divide my zero :p

Just think, bombs could launch with out notice!
Jail cells opening because of computer errors!
Power grids going down all at once!
Air planes flying blind!

AHH!!! Y2K38!
[/sarcasm]

they used to think that would happen in 2000 with computer time-date stamps. Sure it did but on very,very few things... most electronic devices were OK...

My old DOS-box is still glitched to the year when the estimating program was made for it - 1994. I guess it doesn't read 2000 right? All the documents printed off on the old track printer read 1994, despite manually setting the date to current.

But with everyone knowing when it will happen, we can all take necessary steps to avoid the problem.

yes, it's the unix epoch counter problem...

when the 32bit int that's been counting the seconds since jan 1st 1979 will roll over to 00000000000000000000000000000000...

of course, by the time it happens we're expecting that everyone will be using 64 bit computers, so it won't matter at home...

it possibly will matter in some old equipment somewhere in some basement that someone has long since forgotten about.

of course, we could also find that things fail before then, when the number turns into 10000000000000000000000000000000 and starts using two's compliment to count negative ints... (in particularly sloppily coded software).

Again....like I said, if I'm still running 32-bit software in 5 years (let alone 28 years) from now then I'm throwing all my computers away and never using one again.

You say that now, lol. What happens you really don't have 64bit? All I can say: pics or GTFO.

LOL...If I'm still using 32-bit software in 2038 I will gladly post pics of me throwing them out the window (assuming CF still exists...hehe).

Actually if in 5 years I'm still using 32-bit software I will gladly post pics of me throwing the computer out the window.

lol.....Just like Y2K. On New Years Eve 1999 when everyone thought everything was going to shut down at midnight and nothing happened I don't think anyone was surprised. But it took about 1 min for everyone to completely forget about it.....LOL
That's because people in general are idiots. ;)

I think there's a quote or saying something like:
100 people can be geniuses alone, but when put together they turn into idiots.
Basically people develop a 'mob mentality' or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom