Your Very First Computer.......

PharmrJohn

Baseband Member
OK.....been thinking about where it started for me and what was around me at the time.

In 1982, I took a computer class in HS and we worked with the new Apple II computers. No graphics. Games were text based. I did not own one because they were far too expensive.

I made my first purchase in 1986. My first machine was an Atari 520ST, with a 1/2MB RAM and an external 20MB Harddrive. The rig came with a 3.5" drive which was a new concept. The 5.25"'s were still going strong. I immediatedly dropped in another 1/2MB RAM to get the gaming up to speed. I also bought a 300 baud modem (the 1200 and 2400 baud modems were too expensive).

Back then, there were billboards instead of the Internet as we know it now. If you wanted to connect with a lone server, you had to dial in with a unique phone number. I only knew of a few.....and it was pretty dull. However, we still accessed it because it was an interesting concept.

Now....for graphics. It was pretty cutting edge, as the graphics were very, very good for the time. It was a great gaming computer, especially with 1MB RAM. You didn't need anymore. It was expendable to 4MB, but at $100 a MB, it was a little cost prohibitive. Remember, these were 1980's dollars. I made $5.00/hr. So....it was very quick. IBM couldn't compete with the graphics at all. Didn't even come close.

A year later, my buddy got the newest and best IBM had to offer....which was an 80286. I remember the screen had yellow lettering. I asked him if he liked his new toy. He said, "John, it's a tool, not a toy.". Yeah....right Brad. OK.

My second computer in 1991 was a 80486 SX25 with, I think, a 170MB harddrive and 4MB RAM. I ran DOS 6.1 and Windows 3.1. It was a new and improved rig that was called, yes......wait for it......, a multimedia computer. It was then I started exploring something relatively new to me called the Internet.

Man o man, we have come a long way.......

Re: Your Very First Comuter.......

First computer I can remember ever having (family's computer). Was a Gateway 2000. Intel Pentium Pro 220Mhz, don't remember ram, 4GB HD and an 8MB graphics card that still works today. I think it cost in the range of $1,500 new.

lol i had windows 98 that had a 450mhz core and like 64MB ram MAYBE and 10GB HDD, it could only run RA 95 lol

'95 with 40 mb of ram and 8gb harddrive. I think it was in the region of mHz500

MY first was a spectrum with a tape drive!

477335951_a7f3e8b81f.jpg

Family computer, Compaq Presario

Pentium I overclocked to 133MHz, 8 MB RAM, 1 GB HDD, 28.8 kbps modem

Windows 3.1

Just retired it about 2 years ago after many upgrades, used it as a web server for a while

My first computer was a 486 66mhz with 180 mb hdd and 600mb hdd and windows 3.1 that I got given to me back in 2002 so it was very old for that time period. It was given to me broken but I wasted the whole summer trying ti get it going. I did get it running for all of about 1 week then it totally broke. My dad felt bad for me wasting all that time so at the beginning of the school year he bought me what I consider to be my real first computer since it lasted more than 2 weeks.

That computer was my old amd 1800+ 40GB HDD Geforce 4mx440 video 256mb ram. I still have it today and use it as a kennel office computer however recently it has stopped working.

In summer 2007 I built the computer I have now.

That is my basic computer timeline.

Back
Top Bottom