Installing Windows 7 on Partitiong Preserving All Data?

jashan17

In Runtime
Hi,
I just got a new hard drive (1tb WD Black) and want to run my OS on the drive. I moved all my files from my previous drive to the new hard drive and formatted the old drive with KillDisk. If I select custom installation on Windows 7 setup and select the partition on my new drive with my files on it, will it still keep all the data on the partition and just install windows 7? Thanks.

EDIT: Also, I'm reading that creating a separate partition dedicated to just windows 7 and another partition on the same drive for all my data is a better way to install? Is this correct? Seems like it would be better. Wow I spelt partition wrong in the title :eek:

You kind of did it backwards. I would copy the data back to the old drive, delete all partitions from the new drive and install 7 to a clean drive. 7 will create a small (100MB) system partition when it installs, but this is not where the Windows files are installed (just some boot information). Once 7 is installed on the new drive, just copy your files over from the old drive.

Back
Top Bottom