Microsoft automatically rebooting my system

gib65

Baseband Member
It seems as though Microsoft automatically updates computers running its OS and sometimes this results in the computer automatically restarting. The other night, I lost some data because I hadn't saved before going to bed. I guess Microsoft decided it was OK to toss my data in the middle of the night in order to make its updates effective by restarting my computer.

There must be a way to prevent this. I like getting my automatic updates, so I don't want to turn that off, but I don't want it to automatically reboot my system once the updates are downloaded and installed. I'll do that myself in the morning.

Can this be done?

Yeah, if you are in Windows XP professional its really easy, you can still keep the updates and not the automatic restart, if its any other type you can disable the entire service but you will have to manually download the updates though D: .

what the guy above me said

You can TURN off the Updates.

Before it does, it does GIVE you a warming though.... its the most annoying thing ever, cant see how you missed it. It doe sit like 15 minutes before restarting

I hate Vista for this reason. On the other hand, Ubuntu seems to update like every 10 minutes. You just can't win.

Back
Top Bottom