CPU Fan blasting at 100% all the time

culexor

Daemon Poster
I got a new motherboard a little while ago and ever since I got it, my CPU fan has been going full blast regardless of the temp, voltage, or load. I tried adjusting the settings in BIOS. My options are:
CPU Smart Fan Control: Enabled/Disabled
CPU Fan Mode: Auto/Voltage/PWM

None of these helped. No matter what mode it was on, it would give as much power as possible (at least it sounded like it) to the CPU fan, making it spin faster than it should (in excess of 12000RPM!). By disabling the Smart fan control all together, it kept the fan at 100% (~5000RPM) like it should have. This is the setting that I am currently running. I've tried using speedfan but it didn't change the speed at all (I tried adjusting all fans). I also tried downloading Gigabyte's EasyTune utility, but that just gave me the BSOD when I would boot my pc.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P, and my CPU is an AMD Athlon X2 6000+ (125W version).

All help is greatly appreciated.

PS - I should have made this thread ages ago, but I was just too damn lazy. Now I'm just worried that I'm going to wear out my CPU fan from it being at 100% constantly for the last couple months.

5000 rpm is way too high. Have you tried to contact Gigabyte about this issue? I'm sure that they have had this problem before. The first thing I would do is clear the cmos. After you have done that, enable smart fan control and enable the pwm mode. If that doesn't work, you may have to do a bios flash. If the bios flash doesn't work and everything else on the motherboard works, you could always install a fan controller so that you have manual control over the fan itself. Just for giggles, are you using the stock heatsink and fan? If so, have you done any hardware changes that required you to disassemble the cpu or heatsink?

Do you have the fan connected to the correct header on the motherboard? If the fan uses a three pin connector, be sure it's on the three pins starting from the left.

If using a 3 pin fan then set the Fan Mode to 'Voltage'. With 4 pin fans use 'PWM Mode'.

You cannot connect the 3 pin fans incorrectly because of the offset locking tab on the CPU FAN socket.

If all else fails then updating to the latest BIOS may fix this issue.

I do have a 4 pin cpu connector, it is the stock hs/f. Clearing the CMOS and setting it to PWM mode worked! It's now running at normal speeds and it's not nearly as loud any more! Thanks a lot to everyone.

Back
Top Bottom