CPU only showing as a 2.0Ghz

LH-Danny

Baseband Member
Hi,

I bought my CPU a few months ago because I aciddently broke my last one, I won't go into details ;) Anyway, I bought a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Socket AM2 2.7GHz because it was near enough the same what I was running before.

I noticed this problem as soon as I installed it but never got round to investigating or questioning myself why this is occuring, during the start up, the computer only recognizes my CPU has a 2.0Ghz, however in Windows and any other program it's registered as 2.64Ghz (2642Mhz).

Isn't this kind of weird?

Cool 'n' Quiet is switched off.

However, I turned off AM2 Boost to see if it would make any difference. It registered as 2.6Ghz during startup but wouldn't go past the POST.

Could it be something to do with Cool 'n' Quiet?

Very possible if the computer is more-or-less idle when the measurements were taken.

I was thinking the same thing guys, but then I reread it and he said that it's incorrect upon startup, but correct in windows...if it was a cool n quiet problem, it'd be the other way around (would register correctly on startup, but be different in windows)

Cool 'n' Quiet is switched off.

However, I turned off AM2 Boost to see if it would make any difference. It registered as 2.6Ghz during startup but wouldn't go past the POST.

Hmm. I'm not familiar with AM2 Boost (and maybe you aren't either, OP?), but is it an overclocking tool that's in the MB settings? If so, let's not mess with that.

I'm still thinking it may be a BIOS issue. What's your motherboard manufacturer and model?

I'd be very careful if you are going to do this, but the latest update should include all the older updates

Back
Top Bottom