Advice on new PC

Tanner1274

Beta member
I'm very much a novice at building computers. These are the specs of one i plan to build, mostly from buying parts from new egg and eWiz which seem to have the best prices.

Intel Core i7 920
Asus P6TSE LGA1366
GIGABYTE nVidia GeForce GT240
Western Digital AV WD3200AVJS 320G SATA2 7200rpm
G.SKILL Trident 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Triple Channel Kit

I wanted to know first of all is this the right type of motherboard for the other parts?

Also if anyone has some case and cooling recommendations that would be good. I don't need anything fancy in a case just reliable and with good cooling/ventilation. I prefer cases without lights also.

Finally is it worth it to get 10k rpm HD's, how much is the price increase usually?

Any other comments on the setup, or suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Tanner

OK, from what I see on the specs you've chose, this is what I think:

First of all, the mobo settings can support all the hardware options you've listed above.

Secondly, the 10000RPM HDDs are not necessary because although the performance of your PC increases a certain amount, the price increases about 2-3 times, and 7200RPM HDDs will do just fine.

Your RAM options are pretty high, so I'd advise you to get 4GB RAM (you got 3x2GB RAM at PC3 16000. That is pretty damn high for the games or computer applications). Unless you already have those memory, or you know that you need 6GB RAM, I would recommend that you get 4GB RAM.

Looking from the GPU option, it seems as though you intend to play some games. The GT 240 is not a very good card though, it's roughly equivalent to 9600GT. It could handle almost all the games that are out today, but probably not at the highest settings.

Get 4GB RAM and a 7200RPM SATA II HDD and with the rest of the money, you should get HD 4870, HD 4890 or GTX 260.

That's just my opinion.

this is a great case http://m.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129063 and it comes with a decent powersupply. your setup looks good. if you are going to be doing some hardcore gaming you might want a little better graphics card. as for the hard drive, you could stick with what you got, or a cheaper route you could get 2 of the same hard drives and run them on raid 0 settings. up to you. you will have a nice set up.

Back
Top Bottom