Serious Virus problem

Owen-

Beta member
OK basically, when I log in, explorer.exe is not running - hence the only thing I can bring up is task manager. When I type in new task - explorer.exe it says I dont have the appropriate permissions. IE is down - every time I start it - there is a website that comes up instantly, then it closes down. I'm writing the on opera.

I have tried command prompts - most of the mundane ones work fine - but for some important ones it says I dont have permission to access.

When I browse (through new task in TM) I find there are 3 explorer files in C:\WINDOWS - their names and info are as follows

explorer

Type of file-Shortcut to MS-DOS Program
Size - 2.78Kb
Size on Disk - 4 Kb
Created - 06 Oct 2009 ; 19:23:03
Modified - 06 Oct 2009 19:23:12
Accessed - 08 Oct 2009 16:52:44
Cmd line C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe

EXPLORER

Type of file - Windows Explorer Command
Size 80 Bytes
Size on Disk - 4 Kb
Created - 29 Aug 2002 05:00:00
Modified - 29 Aug 2002 05:00:00
Accessed -

explorer

Type of file - Application
Size 0.98 Mb
Size on disk 0.98 Mb
Created 29 Aug 2002 5:00:00
Modified 14 April 2008 01:12:19
Accessed 08 Oct 2009 16:50:20

Bear in mind I took those values down 2 days ago, so days that refer to 08 Oct 2009 should be the present date and time..

I'm assuming one of these files is what is causing my problems.

I have looked online for solutions - I have tried to edit the registry - only to find the files I should delete were not there. I have tried to reboot in safe mode and do things - its all the same. I have even tried rebooting my computer - I cant get the reboot working. Honestly this is killing me - any help would be MUCH appreciated

Thanks,
Owen

Try running msconfig and looking in the Startup section to see if some kind of malware is being loaded at startup. You can disable it from there, reboot and then track it down and delete it.

im trying this now. hopefully it will work

that did not work either =/

i downloaded avg virus protection from another link on computerforums. did a full scan, found several viruses and deleted them. However, this still hasnt fixed my computer! most of the stuff works, explorer.exe however does not. i would really like some help, as im running blind at the moment. =(

This is why you get an anti-virus and firewall. Hope to learn from your mistakes, we all have to.

not too sure how exactly you have 3 file names in the same location called the same thing (impossible). Can you print exact names and extensions?

at a guess i'd go with
explorer

Type of file-Shortcut to MS-DOS Program
Size - 2.78Kb
Size on Disk - 4 Kb
Created - 06 Oct 2009 ; 19:23:03
Modified - 06 Oct 2009 19:23:12
Accessed - 08 Oct 2009 16:52:44

Seeing as it was created not too long ago and it's a shortcut to a dos program. Try do a windows repair using your cd.
Do this next part at your own risk.... try renaming it to something else. like explorer1.

Back
Top Bottom