some cmd questions

MartinC.

Baseband Member
Okay, for some reason my computer won't let me create a new login inside of cmd (command prompt). Here is what I am typing in(below).

net user frog cat /add

frog is the username and cat is the password.
And for some reason, this is always what happens(below).

System error 5 has occured.

Access is denied.

I'm not sure why though, because I tried it at my school and it worked...
So why isn't it working at my house, is my computer blocking it or something?

Yeah, it seems you don't have Access to the file(s) that hold the Usernames and Passwords, are you the Admin? ( I'm expecting most people on here to be Admins though, so this won't mean much... )

Yes, I'm the administrator on my home computer (there's only one account on my home computer), but not on my school computer... Which is kind of strange, because it works at my school.

i am using
net user
not
net view or net time
and also, it's for windows 2003, and i have windows 2006.
thanks for trying to help me though :)
Also, do you think that it may be some kind of 'safety feature' on my computer that is blocking me?

I'm not sure why though, because I tried it at my school and it worked...
What exactly are you trying to achieve by trying it at your school?! If you're caught playing around with things like this it can land you in very hot water, regardless of whether it worked or not.

Yes, it's fun to play around and school security isn't always what it should be. But that doesn't mean you should be trying to add users onto school systems without authorisation just to see if it works. These sorts of things are often logged, and if an admin notices a strange user and tracks it back to being created in your account, be prepared for all hell to break loose.

i am using
net user
not
net view or net time
and also, it's for windows 2003, and i have windows 2006.
thanks for trying to help me though :)
Also, do you think that it may be some kind of 'safety feature' on my computer that is blocking me?

Sorry?

@Magnie
yeah, they are different, I forgot the exact years, but they're somewhere from around the 90's (i think) to 2001 (or maybe 2000).

@berry120
But how could new users do anything to my school computer? and also, all of the new users are automatically deleted when I turn of the school computer...

I have a state job myself....and anything computer related is tracked. And tracked well. If this is a public school, then you can count on things being monitored. I don't know about the private sector, but I imagine that things like this are tagged and forwarded for review even there. Be careful young one......

Back
Top Bottom