Do I have a Wireless Connection problemo?

Juan handed

In Runtime
I have a new HP laptop and it seems to be slow to load pages on the internet.Not any slower than the laptop it replaced,really.Sometimes I have to re-click pages to get them to load,if they won't load within 20 seconds.

I am on a wireless router (D-link BD1524) and on a cable modem (scientific Atlanta dpx 2203 series).Computer is g compatible,not N.

The laptop is usually used on the first floor,the wireless router is located on the 2nd flooor.

So,I run pingtest(on my wireless connection) and consistently find that I have a 5% packet loss.Ping and Jitter are usually up in the 30s and 40s or 50s.I run speedtest and the results usually come back OK,usually about 12mb/s for download speed.

So,I bring the laptop upstairs and lay it 2 feet from the wireless router and get the same test resullts.

Then,I unplug from the wireless and connect into the cable modem with a wire.Pingtest tells me that ping is 10 and jitter is 1.For some reason I can't get a result for packet loss,yet. Speedtest tells me that download speed is 14.5 mb/s. (the packet loss test seems to give a non result most of the time I try the test,and I guess that is the most important thing to know.)

The limited amount of surfing I just did wired up seems very fast.

I'll try to post the test results.

Results for WIRED connection:

Results from the WIRELESS connection

When I am able to get a result with packet loss on the wireless connection it is about 5%

It does seem weird that when you connect directly to the modem things improve dramatically.

Do you have security on your wireless? If not add it, maybe someone is using it. If so change the key. If that doesn't help, take it off and connect without any. Could be that wireless card is having trouble using whatever security you have set up. Try unplugging the router and leaving it off for about 30 seconds and then plug it back in.

It does seem weird that when you connect directly to the modem things improve dramatically.

Do you have security on your wireless? If not add it, maybe someone is using it. If so change the key. If that doesn't help, take it off and connect without any. Could be that wireless card is having trouble using whatever security you have set up. Try unplugging the router and leaving it off for about 30 seconds and then plug it back in.

Just the typical WEP key.I'll try that tonite,though.The chances of someone else on it ar nil,as I am the only one with access to the key information.

I can see I have other wireless networks available in the area (from neighboring houses).Their signals are weak though,and they are security enabled.

Here is another WIRELESS ping test performed on 1st story (router located on 2nd story

Another Wireless result to back up the one above

Speedtest in same location as above

use WPA2, its much more secure. WEP is extremely easy to crack, trust me, and now it is just coming out that WPA can be cracked easily. (if you dont believe me, go to i-hacked.com and look at all their recent articles)

Your ping test scores are abysmal. There could be a lot of things causing this. I'd rule out the obvious and make sure nobody is on your network (type the ip of the router into your browser and it should show you) and personally, being a linux geek, I'd rule out OS by trying a ubuntu liveCD to test the connection again. If it stays the same, test a different computer / wireless card on your wireless network or try using a friends wireless network. This will tell you where the problem is coming from. After that, we can help a bit more.

EDIT: another thing I just noticed- dont test the connection from 2 feet away. In most cases, It causes poor connectivity being that close to the router. try it something more like 5 feet away.

use WPA2, its much more secure. WEP is extremely easy to crack, trust me, and now it is just coming out that WPA can be cracked easily. (if you dont believe me, go to i-hacked.com and look at all their recent articles)

Your ping test scores are abysmal. There could be a lot of things causing this. I'd rule out the obvious and make sure nobody is on your network (type the ip of the router into your browser and it should show you) and personally, being a linux geek, I'd rule out OS by trying a ubuntu liveCD to test the connection again. If it stays the same, test a different computer / wireless card on your wireless network or try using a friends wireless network. This will tell you where the problem is coming from. After that, we can help a bit more.

EDIT: another thing I just noticed- dont test the connection from 2 feet away. In most cases, It causes poor connectivity being that close to the router. try it something more like 5 feet away.

thanks.
I got into the router and could not find any evidence of any other computers on the network and ran pingtest and got similar results for ping and jitter.Packet loss was not able to be tested,tried different servers for another test and the page locked up again,I closed it in task manager,it was unresponsive.Why does this happen,and why do I have to run the test many times to get a value for packet loss?

I'll have to go near the wirelless router again to see if it was really 2 feet,was probably much more,just making the point that I was in close proximity,while the laptop is not often very close to the router,to see if it made a difference.It seems that it did not.

Haven't done anything with the OS,it is Vista home basic.

Going to try pingtest on another laptop to see what pingtest does.

I'll see what I can do about trying another wireless network with this computer.

Router is D-link,DI-524,not sure if I got that right before.It was bought in 2004 and I can see that the firmware was installed in 2004.Surprised to see there is so much that can be set within the router itself.

As far as WEP goes,I'm not sure how to impliment the new security you suggest.It seems that WEP is what this router supports. But I see that WPA2 was an option somewhere in the wireless network stuff on the computer side of things (by clicking the wireless icon).

OK,2 laptops side by side,virtually identical Speedtest results:

The pingtest was similar in both computers

Please note that the 2 llaptops were identical HP laptops,with the same specs.

I'll try to get a third laptop over here to test with,with a different wireless card.

It may just be your router. See if you can borrow a friend's or something. Two different machines that give you the same results usually lead to an outside problem. It's most probably your router.

Ping test on a different laptop-TOSHIBA

This Toshiba is about 6 years old.What does this tell me?

Speedtest for the TOSHIBA

If your are able to connect (wired) and get good results then it could just be the wireless part of the router. I'd see if you could get your hands on another one to see if you have better luck.

Thanks jm.
I just posted my problem over in Networking,(probably where it belongs) and I simplified the information.Reading this thread seemed confusing,so I boiled things down.

Back
Top Bottom