Max Power Supply

Berne

In Runtime
Hi All,
My moby is GA-8SIMLNF...Packard Bell iMedia 3043 bought 2004. What is the max upgrade for a power supply for this board? Current supply is only 230Watts ?

Regards,

Berne

Indeed. No max. Power supplies only "supply" what the computer needs to operate at the given time. As long as you have a PSU that is 230W+, it's fine, unless you have upgraded other components.

if it's only pulling less than 200w-250w as I suspect, then don't go crazy and buy a 850w psu, the efficiency will suffer and it would just be a waste of $$, a good 350w-400w psu would be plenty...

this Corsair 400CX would do just fine and is only $40 after MIR...

Well thanks to all for the tips on this one, oh, upgrading is a factor and as I recently did...Now CPU is Intel Prescot 2.8ghz 1MB 533FSB, 2GB RAM DDR PC2700, GEFX5500 12MB HD 80GB...Flightsim is the magic word...so 500W willl take care of all eventualities.

All the best,

Berne

if it's only pulling less than 200w-250w as I suspect, then don't go crazy and buy a 850w psu, the efficiency will suffer and it would just be a waste of $$, a good 350w-400w psu would be plenty...

this Corsair 400CX would do just fine and is only $40 after MIR...

As long as it's a newer, active PFC PSU, this isn't the case. PSU's will only use what is needed for the system to run. If you're using an older, higher wattage PSU, then you may run into a problem; or, if you are running a higher wattage PSU in a warm climate, then efficiency suffers no matter what kind of PSU it is.

As long as it's a newer, active PFC PSU, this isn't the case. PSU's will only use what is needed for the system to run. If you're using an older, higher wattage PSU, then you may run into a problem; or, if you are running a higher wattage PSU in a warm climate, then efficiency suffers no matter what kind of PSU it is.

true, but the bigger point is it's a waste of money to spend roughly $100 on a decent high wattage psu when all you need to spend is $40-$50 on one that is gonna power the build fine...

true, but the bigger point is it's a waste of money to spend roughly $100 on a decent high wattage psu when all you need to spend is $40-$50 on one that is gonna power the build fine...

Correct.

Unless you a planning on using it in another build down the road and want to hit 2 birds with one stone so-to-speak.

Back
Top Bottom