Is AVG Virus Software good to use?

BK_123

Golden Master
I am wondering if AVG is a good security software because I have the latest version of Norton and it really annoying like the other day I was installing Sims2 again and it asked if I should let it run and I said yes and it made the computer freeze and I had to restart the computer and it came with the computer..

In short - yes it's a good free package. Understandably not as comprehensive as some of the commercial security suites, but for your basic virus protection it does a good job.

There are many other AV programs out there other than Norton. I never recommend that people install Norton. There is the paid version of AVG, or Eset. Just to name two of them. Do a google search and you will find a number of the major players.

The main thing is that if you are a smart web surfer then you won't have to worry about much.

My personal experience of Norton is it wants far too many resources to work. I tried it for a week and went back to AVG free.

No I use Avast! after getting updating problems with AVG and have no issues with it. It does what it has to very well in the background.

I personally use MSE, it's lightweight and has... good-great virus detection. Otherwise, I'd use Avira A/V.

has anyone heard of spybot search and destroy and PC doctor and i think spybot is another good on to be using..

I use avg accompanied with comodo firewall + anti virus. You should just try and pick one. To be honest unless there is a blatant difference between service, you kind of just have to stick with 1 or 2. If you overload and put more than one on then you're just slowing down your computer and making it no use.
No to norton like everyone else says.

The best paid one i've seen so far is sophos.
Some free alternatives
avg
avast
avira

http://www.freewaregenius.com/2009/04/07/the-best-free-antivirus-a-comparison/
looking at this comparison avira would be the one to go with.
Take a look at this site (http://www.av-comparatives.org) as well which also suggests avira as a pretty good candidate but spurts a lot of false positives

I've used AVG Free for years now, always seems to catch potential malware, though once it found an html file that I made, not sure how that's a virus.

Back
Top Bottom