Grounding

shozzking

Daemon Poster
I ordered all of the parts for my computer and i hope that i'll have them early next week. i'm just wondering how often i should touch the PSU after i've plugged it in so that i dont kill the parts of my computer with static. do you guys have any tips for me? thanks

Once you get your rig assembled, you can touch the outside as much as you want. It's the inside that you have to worry about. Make sure that you stay grounded during the assembly and everything else is gravy.

yeah just stay grounded until you have your case cover if you are not too sure. thats safe proof.

funny though, I dont think I ve fried my older system I wasnt even grounded 80% of the time LOL until one sad sad sad tuesday night...

Before you pick up a piece of hardware, I'd touch the chassis of the case just in case. And... don't slide your feet on carpet with socks on before working on it :p

If you can then install the PSU first then plug it into the wall. Touching the case without grounding it first is pretty much useless.

This way the whole case is earthed and you'll find that you will touch the case anyway during the build.

If your working away from the case, installing the CPU, heat-sink and RAM, then just touch the case. You build up static electricity when you move about so if your pretty much stationary then don't worry about this too much.

If you can then install the PSU first then plug it into the wall.
...and just to add for those reading that aren't sure for whatever reason, leave it OFF at the wall plug!

Chances are if you don't ground yourself you'll be absolutely fine. I've messed around inside a PC many times without being grounded and never had any issues at all. Just took the common sense approach of not shuffling around on the carpet while I was doing it!

However, there is a slight chance that by not grounding yourself, you could build up static and fry components. It's unlikely, but wearing an anti static wrist band or similar is a very small price to pay in insurance if you're dealing with hundreds of pounds worth of electronic kit!

Back
Top Bottom