CF wiki

berry120

Fully Optimized
Here's a random idea that popped into my head the other day - has anyone ever considered a CF wiki? It could be a useful place to consolidate general information that ends up getting repeated on these forums over and over again (how to disable automatic restarts on a BSOD for example) and could be used as a kind of "library" to direct people towards for common questions and basic problems. Yes, we could direct people to other threads and that often happens at the moment, but I think a wiki would be a cool, user driven addition to the site and could contain said information in a much more structured form.

Just to make one thing clear - I wouldn't envisage such a wiki ever replacing the forums, simply supplementing them. For example, user x asks how to sort out a virus on some machine, and let's say for argument's sake the solution involves booting into safe mode. User y comes along and replies, stating that user x needs to boot into safe mode to sort the problem out. User x asks how to boot into safe mode, user y simply directs user x to a comprehensive explanation on the wiki rather than typing the same thing out that's inevitably been typed out a million times before.

Such a wiki may be slow off the ground, they usually are. But with enough users contributing, in time it could turn into a rather invaluable resource that could well serve to increase the member count as well as improving the overall experience on here.

Thoughts / ideas? :)

That's a pretty neat idea! We could add things such as many FAQ.
I think it would be a good idea, not to mention if we did host it here another way David could earn money for the site.

Yeah I think its a good idea, I guess we'd need some wiki software to run it
The easiest (and arguably best) way would be to set up a mediawiki instance. It's the same thing used to run wikipedia and it's used all over the place in other wikis so it's good, stable and free. The install itself is dead simple too - if you want to skin it so it's more like the CF theme then that'll take a bit of design effort, and if the accounts were going to be linked directly with the accounts on this site that'd probably be a bit of a challenge. Overall though it really shouldn't be too hard (and I don't see a huge need for the accounts to be linked anyway, it's only a 2 second job to create a new account over on the mediawiki instance.) :)

This is a really good idea. We could also post up common builds that could go in between budgets for new builders. And selected members can update the wiki site (maybe even more trusted members then just mods). Really good idea man

Back
Top Bottom