Darn truck...

winslow33

Daemon Poster
Hello. My friend bought last night a 1998 Chevy 1500. it needs a few things, but theres two problems we dont know how to fix. I was wondering if the automotive minded of us could offer some input:

-When we shut off the truck, the lights wont go out. we had to disconnect the battery. The switch works to turn on and off the hi-beams but it wont let us turn off the normal lights

-It wont tell how much fuel we have left. when we hit a bump the gauge moves around and stops wherever. So we cant tell how much gas is in the truck. Im thinking its the sensor, but my friend Mark is convinced its just the gauge

We are going to pop in the CD player tonight, I'll get some pictures.
Thanks!:D

My guess with the lights would be a bad switch. Is it just the headlights or interior, trunk, etc? The way you describe the gauge's needle bouncing around, I as well would deem a bad gauge the culprit.

If you don't wanna fix the gauge, just gas up once a week, record your mileage, and you'll be able to gauge how much gas is in it.

If you don't wanna fix the gauge, just gas up once a week, record your mileage, and you'll be able to gauge how much gas is in it.
Haha my friend does this in his 69 Cougar, its hilarious because theres just a raggidy notepad sitting in between the seats ha

yeah he just bought the truck last night. Funny story about how we found out the fuel gauge problem.
We took her for a ride down to the shop so he could run in and pick up a part. I'm sitting in here with it in park, idling away waiting for him to get back. When we left the house i check the fuel gauge and its showing half full. We get to the store, I'm sitting here and I look in the mirror. There's a pool of liquid below the gas tank area. I look back at the fuel gauge, and its sitting right flat on the E line :O
So I shut off the car, jump out, and check that little pool.. ends up its just water, snow melted off the roof. Still scared me for a few seconds, I thought there was a hole in the tank. Then on the way home every time I turned or hit a bump the gauge moved. Heres what the truck looks like. Its got 390k on the frame and engine (a LOT for a '98). The transmission is brand new, as is most of the truck. Surprisingly the engine is in great shape considering the mileage:

12156_1212248698685_1002802084_30597410_7501531_n.jpg

Damn, that is a lot of miles! Yeah, there are a MILLION of those in the JY, especially with C4C. Pick up a fuel gauge, and see if it helps. Shouldn't be more than like $5.

Back
Top Bottom