looking to upgrade my video card and sound card

roadust443

Solid State Member
hey everyone,

I have an HP a250n
I have recently upgraded the RAM on it and I am planning on switching over to windows 7 very soon.

I want to upgrade my sound card and video card. I RARELY use this machine for gaming. I will for the most part be using this computer for listening to music through my Logitech Z-5500 speakers and for streaming movies and videos to watch on my HDTV. Other than that I will simply be surfing the web and using Microsoft office for school/business related activities.

I am looking to get the best quality sound and video for my money (obviously).

I am looking to run an optical audio connection to my Z-5500 and I need the video card to have an HDMI output (unless there is a connection that will give me better video quality).

any suggestions??

My price range is flexible but around $100 for each card would be nice.

my PSU actually just got replaced also, i am not sure as to what kind it is but on the back of it it says

115/230V~1/0.5A

Look on the side of it. It should have a sticker that has a spec layout on it. You will have to open up the side of the case. Looking for wattage and amperage specs.

ok i just cracked it open

it sayyyys
AC Input: 115/230V~,6.5A/3.5A, 50-60Hz
DC Output: 300W
+3.3V - 15A
+5V - 25A
+12V - 10A
-5V - .6A
-12V - .6A
+5VSB - 2A

You will need to upgrade your psu before you look at upgrading your graphics card. Any card that has an HDMI port will usually require you to have at least a +12v-18A rail. Your other hold back is the age of your mobo. The AGP port limits the availability of picking a decent graphics card, although there are still decent cards on the market. How much ram did you upgrade to? Windows7 will need a minimum of 1GB.

just to clarify I am willing to spend around 100 solely on the video card and an additional 100 for the sound card

not sure if you thought i wanted to spend only 100 for everything

The psu and sound card are all you will need for what you are going to do. Let me look at the graphics card a tad more and try to come up with a better one.

Alright. I have this exact card in a pcix16 version and it kicks some major butt when streaming video over the net. It is a little more than $100 but it will fit into the budget given the lower cost of the other items. Plus it has a rebate which brings it right to the $100 budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161284

Actually, use this psu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182199

Back
Top Bottom