Building server based PC

fakebird

Baseband Member
Hello, i heard it was possible to run a server motherboard that has 2 different processors and run a non server based OS on it, IE XP or a linux flavor that is for non-server use. What im wondering is, what do you guys suggest as the best 2 server sloted motherboard for my needs:

i would like to have atleast a 100GB of RAM cap DDR3 preferably

2 processor slots, AMD or intel based either is fine

and this might be a stretch but psi express x16 2.0 slots to run duel video cards.

Something a 600watt power supply can support.

to get the mobo to support at least duelcore processors, quad-core would be preferd.

If anyone knows of a good mobo for this type of build it would greatly be appreciated.

I am also curious if you think buying another processor that is the same model and GHz as mine or buying 2 new ones that would be a step up. ( i am currently running intel duel-core 2.40GHz)

Last question, Sorry for such a long post, Do you suggest buying what parts i can find that i would want for this build on black friday or just wait a few weeks after X-mas for price wise?

Sorry for my complete lack of spelling and grammar education, and large amount of questions and if this is not possible and i am just dreaming im sorry for the noob post.

Thank you for any help you can provide !

100GB ram?
doubt it, that dosnt exist.

Maybe your thinking hard drive space....and i hope you are.

6GB DDR3 would be best for Intel biulds, but 4GB DDR3 is best for AMD builds

and why on earth would you need 2 procs?

total waste of money if you were to ask me.

No i am talking about RAM thats not impossible actually http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182177 theres an example. And 2 procs because its going to be needed.

just because it supports it, dosnt mean you can afford or find it. Son.

that is only 16GB. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E&N=2010170147 1052339219&name=16GB (4 x 4GB)

and 2 procs are needed why? I'm having a hard time believing any need for a PC like that. You work for Interpol or something?

usage.jpg

that is a screen shot of my CPU/Mem usage, as high as i could get it.

3.36GB used. (4GB i have)
98% CPU used. (quad core phenom II @stock 3Ghz)

Running apps:
ARMA 2 demo
COD4
Core Temp64
Guild Wars
Vegas 2

(was going to run crysis as well, but i couldnt get my copy to work {not legit})

even with all that going, my PC did not slow down at all. not even while playing any of those games.

Now i am inclined to ask again, what program you are wanting to use that would require 100GB ram?
like seriously, no offense, so please take none, but i am floored by this.

I'm just curious.

And honestly, i dont know if anyone on this site has a dual CPU set up?
Let alone over 8GB RAM.

Back
Top Bottom