Tcs

No, if you are going over 45-55 merging on to the highway/interstate, you'll have no problems...it takes a vehicle with MAJOR torque and HP to spin tires going that fast (i.e. a NASCAR car, or a drag car).

As others have said, you should be fine with it off, but definitely turn it back on if you hit rain/snow/etc. Just try it both ways and how you like it. I've got TCS on my Saab, but it's FWD so I guess my comparison for you with it on vs. off would be null.

Mustang(4.6L) can probably break traction up to about 20-25mph. My truck can break free around 15-20 in 1st gear(auto).
You should be fine though, if weather is bad, leave it on, otherwise, it's not necessary. If you floor it around a turn, you might loose control, or if floor it off the line, you may fish tail a little, but not much.

Just turn it off and see how it drives. You might find you spend more time spinning your tires than you do going forward. As long as it's not icy/snowy you'll be fine. It'll be no different than driving a mustang with no TCS.

Just give it a try. As long as you are in a straight line and you feel the tyres spin just ease off and they will re engage

Your traction control is doing exactly what it's supposed to do. When you accelerate that hard you are causing the real wheels to slip. The job of the TCS is to keep the rear wheels from spinning, so yes it's supposed to cut out when the wheels slip, that's what it's designed to do. V6 mustangs don't have that much horsepower so if you're rear wheels are slipping a lot when you accelerate then it sounds to me like you need new tires or need some weight in the back. Or else you just need to lay off the lead foot, after all, V6 mustangs aren't really that great so stop driving like it's a GT.

Edit: You never siad it was a V6 but I'm assuming it is since you said it was an automatic. Why would you buy a V8 with anything but a stick??

This is probably a stupid questipn but since im not really experienced with RWD cars, i was wondering if it is safe to turn off my Traction Control System in my 2005 mustang, because i think its really sensitive. If i accelerate 'modestly' quick over 3,000rpm i can feel the car cut off the power to the tires. (almost as if a clutch is being engaged even though my mustang is an automatic) So basically i am forced to being extremely gradual with my accelerating.

My question is how different is accelerating a RWD car than a FWD car? And could i really lose control by opening up the throttle while.. lets say merging on the highway without TCS??

Meh! The best thing is when you get the rear end of a double decker bus out in the snow. Turn it off and drive man! It's the only way your going to learn. You had to fall of your bike a few times before you learn to ride properly and its the same here. You have to get your car out of control to learn how to control it. So an empty car park at night with a damp ground is what you need. And although doughnuts is fun this isn't what you want to do. Drive, floor it and control the cars direction while it's out of control, so to speak. A FWD car thats out of control, or understeering - off the power to control. A RWD car thats out of control, or oversteering - on the power to gain control.

I've had a few motors with traction control and I always turned it off. Even in the snow. If you have a LSD then it's not so bad than switching off with a standard diff. Automatic or manual, *cough* 'Stick', when the TC is on the system will reduce engine power.

Meh! The best thing is when you get the rear end of a double decker bus out in the snow. Turn it off and drive man! It's the only way your going to learn. You had to fall of your bike a few times before you learn to ride properly and its the same here. You have to get your car out of control to learn how to control it. So an empty car park at night with a damp ground is what you need. And although doughnuts is fun this isn't what you want to do. Drive, floor it and control the cars direction while it's out of control, so to speak. A FWD car thats out of control, or understeering - off the power to control. A RWD car thats out of control, or oversteering - on the power to gain control.

Excellent advice. It'll make you a much better driver. My parents never taught me like this, so I was left to teach myself... with my dad's truck in a cul-de-sak (spelling???) I learned what it was doing so that I could control it. So when I was on the road and my van's rear end kicked out on a turn on a icy road (at like 3 mph mind you), I had it recovered before my mom could scream (oh man, was she freaking) at me to counter steer. Good thing they don't see the point in snow tires......

"Edit: You never siad it was a V6 but I'm assuming it is since you said it was an automatic. Why would you buy a V8 with anything but a stick??"

for one, autos cost a bit less it seams.
and two, not all of us have the option to get manual lol.

Take it to a majorly open area, and give it a shot both ways, see which you like better.

What engine does your stang have?

4.0 V6 Automatic and engine was bored out to .60. Also has a K&N straight pipe exhast system (No catalytic converter).

it was my uncles car and he tried to sell it for 3 years and no one would buy it, which is probably because its baby blue and its a convertible.. basically it looks like a girl should have it ;).. (ill upload some pics tomorrow) So he refinanced it and told me i could just take over the payments, $200 a month.

But ah yeah tried driving without tcs and theres really nothing to it. if your back end starts sliding to the left, turn slightly to the left to regain traction.. Easy

Back
Top Bottom