Hard drive install, drive not found.

speedcrazy1532

Beta member
Hey Everyone.

I recently lost the motherboard on my daily use computer at my house, it was an HP a600n if i recall. I run a seperate computer in my room to watch movie and as an external drive for important stuff. This computer, the one in my room, is quite old. It's a Gateway "450" from about 1999 - 2000. I know it has 256mb RAM and It runs windows XP. I may have more detailed info @ my house and will post later.
Now, I'm trying to install the Hard drive from my recently deceased HP into the Gateway. The Hard Drive is a SATA Western Digital Caviar 80GB and came factory in the HP. I connect everything up(as slave), start the computer, and the drive never shows up in My Computer. My main obvjective is to hopefully recover the files off of the Caviar using the Gateway. If thats not possible, i would like to at least use the Caviar as a storage device in the future.
What am i missing? Add new Hardware does not work. I tried messing with the jumper on the back of the drive and had no results there either. Do i need drivers of some sort, or is it simply not compatible? Sorry for writing the book here but any help is appreciated.
Lastly, I tried removing the Gateway drive and installing the WD drive in it's place, hoping that it would just run the OS and everything that was on the HP. No go. The computer just says " No operating system found" and you can enter prompts I believe.

Have you set the checked the jumpers on the master drive and made sure it was set to master? Also make sure that you are sure the cables are firmly connected on the slave drive that that it is in the first SATA port.

Ok, some more info. All cables are connected securely, etc and the drive is not in the bios either. The gateway is a 450 PIII and the original HD in it is a Maxtor 6800. PDF of manual here: http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/.../manuals/diamondmax_6800_ultra_ata_manual.PDF. I don't know where to go from here as the jumper settings on the Master drive should be sufficient without me touching them yet the Western digital drive is still not recognized.

There are no master/slave settings on SATA drives. However, you probably need to enable the appropriate SATA port in BIOS before the system will recognize the drive. Just follow the cable to the motherboard and the actual port that the cable is plugged in to should be labeled with a number. Then just find the reference to this SATA port number and enable it.

I don't know. Are you sure there are no references to SATA ports in BIOS? I'm unfamiliar with Gateway BIOS. It could be buried in there somewhere.

Oh, you're first post said it was SATA. That changes everything. In that case, double-check all your cable connections. Are the two hard drives using the same IDE cable? If so, try setting the jumpers on both drives to Cable Select and make sure that the hard drive you want to boot from is attached to the connector at the very end of the cable.

Oh, you're first post said it was SATA. That changes everything. In that case, double-check all your cable connections. Are the two hard drives using the same IDE cable? If so, try setting the jumpers on both drives to Cable Select and make sure that the hard drive you want to boot from is attached to the connector at the very end of the cable.

Yeah i tried to make that first post as clear as possible but failed in the respect. The Maxtor is ATA, the Western Digital SATA. The western digital has jumper configuration for either opt1 or ssc enabled. Should i ignore both of these and just leave the jumper out of play?

Back
Top Bottom