Hard Drive

njm0993

Beta member
I am building a computer and have a 5400rpm SATA2 Hard Drive And A 7200rpm PATA Hard Drive. I Was Wondering Which One Would Perform Better And Which One I Should Use. Thanks.

I'd go with sata 2, pata is an old and outdated device and is slower

if you motherboard supports sata

Whilst I agree that the SATA drive is more likely to be quicker than the other, it's actually impossible to say what one will be quicker for definite with what you've given us. Not all SATA drives are faster than PATA ones...! Have a look at the seek times and suchlike if you've got those figures around, they'll tell you for sure.

If you're building a new PC though, I'd be tempted to rethink on whether to get a new drive. Sounds like you're choosing between two older drives that most likely won't last as long and won't be as fast as a new one, and at £60 for a 1TB drive I know what I'd choose!

Honestly, those two drives will probably perform about the same. One is SATA but only 5400 rpm, while the other is PATA but 7200 rpm. The difference will probably be minimal. Use them both, install the second as a storage drive.

Back
Top Bottom