Do you think i should by win 7

Timinator94

Baseband Member
My mom bought a laptop from her mom and it came with win vista(gag). I tried putting xp on it only to find that hp nolonger provides xp drivers for it. Every one who has tried win 7, do you think i should buy it and install it? it is an hp pavillion dv9700.
Thanx
the timinator

7 will outperform Vista, no doubt. However, the hardware is the problem in this scenario. I have had nothing but back luck with hp/compaq laptops ( I had to work on a few of them at my old job). No amount of turd polishing is going to change the fact that it's an hp laptop. Try ubuntu first just to see if there is any performance differences compared to Vista. If you find that the hardware is capable of performing better with different OSes, then consider spending the money on 7.

I recently upgraded from XP to W7 and i like it alot...

Ive never had the luxury of owning or working on a vista comp.

But like previously said the drivers might hold you back. If anything i would reinstall vista and try upgrading and maybe it might retain the drivers.

If it's a laptop, I'm guessing the specs aren't that high, so if there's vista on there, definitely switch to W7.

So far, almost everybody who has tries W7 likes it.

7 will outperform Vista, no doubt. However, the hardware is the problem in this scenario. I have had nothing but back luck with hp/compaq laptops ( I had to work on a few of them at my old job). No amount of turd polishing is going to change the fact that it's an hp laptop. Try ubuntu first just to see if there is any performance differences compared to Vista. If you find that the hardware is capable of performing better with different OSes, then consider spending the money on 7.

Good point. I used ubuntu on my desktop untill yesterday.(tried to update to 9.10 and it crashed:D)

I've used Windows for years. 98, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, you name it. Windows 7 is by far the quickest, most reliable, and most pleasing operating system that I've used in a long time. I highly recommend it.

I've used Windows for years. 98, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, you name it. Windows 7 is by far the quickest, most reliable, and most pleasing operating system that I've used in a long time. I highly recommend it.
It's a nice OS, but I wouldn't recommend installing it on anything and everything out there... you do need to be careful. Firstly keep the requirements in mind, for old computers on or around 7's minimum requirements I'd still recommend XP (it's inevitably pretty sluggish with these types of boxes.) Again, drivers are another thing you need to look at (as mentioned above), we've already had at least one person posting several threads complaining about the lack of drivers for a wireless card.

That said, if the drivers are around and you're running Vista currently, 7 is a far better OS - I still maintain it's what Vista was really meant to be to start with.

Back
Top Bottom