Should I change my processor?

Actually I think I might remember that. Was it black, with an awkward fan sticking out of the back somewhere?

Looking at mine, I don't think I'd be able to fit a fan anywhere at all...there's just no room. Back to cooling pads I guess.

So if I haven't damaged anything, what is causing it to behave like this? It heats up, and during anything graphics-intensive both cores jump to 100% and stay there while the framerate goes down the toilet...2-10 FPS or so. It definitely wasn't always this way. I played AoE3, Spore, Dekaron/2moons, and Quake 4, among others, with no problems. Now the only way I can do anything remotely similar is to set the thing up where the window AC unit in my room is lowing directly on the back of it.

Do the games play well if the laptop if in cold conditions? Heat can affect how solid state items perform.

They used to, even without a cooling pad on it. I could play most games at medium settings. Now, the only way to make it play even remotely well is to do the thing with the AC unit...I've never seen another computer get that hot so fast. All I'm doing right now is typing this, and the speedfan tray icon is displaying 88C, up from 80 when it was sitting on a cold floor doing nothing.

edit: I just tried running 2moons. Surprisingly is did fairly well on minimum settings, but on medium-high ones like I used to run it's terrible. One of the temperature sensors on the GPU jumped to 125C, with the DIMM not far behind. Right now the game is minimized and it's holding a steady 106-108. Still way too hot.

Those diodes must be wrong. You wouldn't be able to hold the laptop if it were at 125C. That's well over 215F. Infact, it's 257F. You could toast you bread on the underside of your laptop at that temperature. I'm going to take the assumption then that you have infact damaged the processor. Possibly the GPU as well. Are you still under warranty?

I should probably clarify this. Speedfan lists my temperature sensors as follows:
GPU
Core0
Core1
DIMM
Temp4
CPU
GPU

The duplicates do display different temperatures. When this happened, the first GPU spiked to 125 while the DIMM spiked to 111. After a second or two they dropped to about 110/105, then to what I stated. All of the others stayed below 90, or in the low 90s.

I agree though...I think something is damaged in there. How do I tell if it's the processor or the GPU..or both?

edit: I also noticed during this that speedfan didn't kick the fan speed up to full. Same thing with no speedfan. It's running full blast right now, though...highest temp is only 80C. wtf?

Edit2: This no longer belongs in the Processors section...moving to HW.

Back
Top Bottom