Help on new build

SirSky77

Beta member
Its been a few years since the last upgrade and with up coming games and the dieing of my old xfx 6800xt agp card i fig'd it was time for a update.

I have been putting this upgrade off for sometime. As I have started looking it seem i missed alot even nivida had to start over with the numbers again and we went back to useing 2 cards.

Lets get real tho

Lets start with the processors seems the picks are the core2 quad, I5 750/I7 860 1156, and the other 3 or 4 I7's in the 1366 type.

Then we have dual channel ram vs tripe channel ddr3

and the graphics cards do we need 1 2 or 3 comon really 3 sli vs crossfire would 3 little ones be better the 1 big one and cost about the same both ways.

ok u got to fig i will be OCing and I am a gamer ,heavy web surfer, video watcher ,photoshop user.

we could go crazy with money but lets try to keep it under the 1500 range with the thought of needing everything "but" a keyboard mouse and monitor.

also fig ill be needed to get me a copy of that new windows 7 just cuz.

Go I5 or I7. Core2 (LGA775) is getting outdated for gamers and power-users. There are sockets 1156 and 1366. 1156 can use Dual channel RAM, has the QPI (like AMD's HT), and can be I5 or I7. 1366 can use Triple channel RAM, has the QPI and can only be I7 at this point. I'd go for LGA1366 because of Intel's statement they intend to release their hexa-cores on the 1366 platform.

Choose some DDR3 Triple Channel and MAKE SURE it is 1.65v or lower. OCZ makes nice RAM; So does Corsair.

Pick a motherboard that's 1366 (I recommend EVGA's x58 SLI-LE or Asus's P6Tv2)

Nvidia is now in the GT-200 series cards. Mainstream is GTS250 (the G92 GPU) and higher end (single core cards) is the GTX 285. The most bang for buck in the Nvidia region is the GTX 260 Core 216. Evga makes a nice version of that. Of course you could also go with ATi, if you prefer them or would like to give them a shot. Their 5xxx series cards are taking the market over with DX11 and SM4.1

Oh yeah, select an I7 on the 1366 platform. I only recommend the 920 or 975. Any processors in between aren't worth what you pay.

Pick whether you want RAID or not for HDD's. Then proceed to find a (some) Harddrive(s). I use the SeaGate 7200.12 series drives. They are quite nice at a very respectable price.

The PSU really falls under which GPU you pick, so we'll wait on that.

Find a nice case that has some good cooling. The NZXT Tempest looks nice.

U have sold me on the I7 920 and thanks for the heads up on what I need to look for on the triple channel ram.

I have always like my seagate hdds and asus mbs that I have had over the years.

Far as the gpu goes I would most likely go with a nivida just because I have used them the most. But is there a big diff when using 2 or even 3 cards? or is it just a waste of money?

What are the limits on OCing the I7 920 2.66ghz with air cooling vs having to forkout more cash for water cooling

right now its better to go for an ATI card because they are better than the nvidia cards for a lower price and they give you directx 11. you wont notice a huge difference if you SLI or crossfirex 2 graphic cards. its better to put your money into one really good graphics card

Most of our members have taken their 920 (D0)'s to 4 flat on air. I agree with Shozzking. ATi is at the peak of their game with the 5xxx series cards.

As he also said, it's best to buy one good card than multiple, less powerful ones and SLI or CF them. Plus, it gives you the opportunity later to SLI or CF that more powerful GPU. The thing with SLI and CF is this: buy the best you can afford, then SLI it later. If you start off SLI'ing 260's or 275's, just get a 295. Stuff like that.

Thanks for the tips guys Ill give the ati a looking over any tips on whos making a good one or one to avoid buying?

Back
Top Bottom