powers on but dead screen

It's the MOBO. 95% sure. Anytime I've had a computer that powers up but won't POST (No beeps) it's been the MOBO.

It's not the monitor as he said he tested it.

monitors fine. tried a pci graphics card, tried unplugging stuff. nothing.

so you recon its the mobo?

i had that problem once with my old computer... what your supposed to do is fix the memory.. usually that means teh memory is dead or the cpu is dead or the memory isnt pushed in all the way. see if that helps.

Had that problem on two of my MicroATX builds. Mobo was dead in both cases. All fans turn on, but no post.

The school I work for has computers that are old. 6-8 years old. Anytime we run into this exact issue (power but no video) it's been the Mobo. I'm just saying that I'm 95% sure that is the case here as well.

Um do you have a powersupply tester? It could be the PS. I've seen many issues where the -5 voltage path goes out in the PS, it boots up almost normal but no video. The Bestec power supplies are best known for that. Also i've seend CPUs go out, and display no video. So hope may not be lost yet. Newegg.com has some cheap power supply testers.

From your description of the hard drive light staying on constantly and nothing happening, that doesn't sound like a normal boot up sequence to me but with no video - sounds like a motherboard issue (would've thought it's unlikely to be the power supply.)

Before you fear the worst though, I'd check everything over for potential shorts - it wouldn't be the first time I've seen a broken cable or a bare cable touching another part causing this sort of an issue (especially as the original problem was a loose cable.) As suggested earlier, I'd also unplug everything but the bare essentials to check if a dodgy component is playing havoc with everything else.

Either way I don't really see the point in power supply testers these days - if you're suspicious just swap it with a new one and see if it solves the issue :)

Failing all that though, my guess would be the motherboard.

ive tried to unplug everything, mess around, etc .. with no luck. think i might just leave it. after all it isnt my computer, and atleast it powers up which it didnt before.

soo cheers guys

Back
Top Bottom