Tcs

Prodigy146

Fully Optimized
This is probably a stupid questipn but since im not really experienced with RWD cars, i was wondering if it is safe to turn off my Traction Control System in my 2005 mustang, because i think its really sensitive. If i accelerate 'modestly' quick over 3,000rpm i can feel the car cut off the power to the tires. (almost as if a clutch is being engaged even though my mustang is an automatic) So basically i am forced to being extremely gradual with my accelerating.

My question is how different is accelerating a RWD car than a FWD car? And could i really lose control by opening up the throttle while.. lets say merging on the highway without TCS??

Depends on how skilled of a driver you are. If you lose traction in a FWD car when going straight, all that's really gonna happen is that you're gonna accelerate slower. In a RWD car, you risk having the rear end sliding out if you do lose traction and you have to counter-steer accordingly and reduce throttle input.

Chances are you should have no problems merging onto the highway at WOT if you're already rolling unless conditions are bad.

Ok, but ah is it normal for a traction control system to totally cut engine power to the tires for a few seconds when accelerating at over 3200rpm ??

Usually traction control systems are supposed to cut power when it detects the wheels losing traction. They may have set it up from the factory in hopes that it cuts power before losing traction, reducing the possibility of losing control, but that's just a guess.

Just turn it off and see how it drives. You might find you spend more time spinning your tires than you do going forward. As long as it's not icy/snowy you'll be fine. It'll be no different than driving a mustang with no TCS.

Take it to a majorly open area, and give it a shot both ways, see which you like better.

What engine does your stang have?

On dry pavement, yes. I've accidentally spun the tires of my dad's truck with no ill consequence on dry pavement, but on snow or wet pavement you'll be asking for trouble.

All its doing is keeping your tires from spinning, like ABS for the gas pedal.

On dry pavement, yes. I've accidentally spun the tires of my dad's truck with no ill consequence on dry pavement, but on snow or wet pavement you'll be asking for trouble.

All its doing is keeping your tires from spinning, like ABS for the gas pedal.

Brake pedal* ;)

Oh, my bad. I thought you were making the analogy "TCS is to gas pedal as ABS is to brake pedal", didn't fully understand the post :p

Back
Top Bottom