Buying a new laptop

Baku

Baseband Member
Toshiba Qosmio-
http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/q...X500/X505-Q832

HP dv7Laptop-
http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-DV7-3...9922453&sr=1-4

Which should I get???

Im looking to buy a new laptop that will pretty much replace a desktop, but what I need is this:

at least 1 gig of dedicated GPU, 4gb of ram, and I want to be able to hook it up to a desktop monitor and be abel to play video games on it! so it has to be pretty decent. I will be using this computer for multi-tasking over long periods of time, gaming, possible Dj'ing, also for image editing like CS3, sound editing, watching movies, and also for just browsing the web. When not mobile, I will have a mouse and keyboard monitor set up at my desk for when I am gaming or doing important work. So basically I guess you could say that It will kind of be like a computer tower for me. I was looking at MacBookPros but theyre kind of pricey. They appeal to me with their really long battery life. But X_X , help me out I also want a long lasting laptop.

I have a few questions.

1. What are some good reliable brands out there for laptops?
2. Is 7200 rpm D's THAT much faster than 5400 rpm HD's? do they heat up your system more?
3. Do laptops last as long as desktops?
4. If my battery on the laptop starts losing its charge time after a while, can I just replace battries to completely transform it like new?
5. What do I need to look for, for what I want my computer to do FOR me?

I hope this is even the right place for this? ? ? Thank you

I'll answer your questions first:

1: HP, Dell, OCZ, MSI, Toshiba, a few others. I use HP, they aren't bad.
2: 7200 is a fair difference over 5400. Faster access times, sequential read and writes.
3: Typically, no. The solid state parts make no difference, but OD's (optical drives) and HDD's (hard disk drives) normally have their MTBF (mean time between failure) cut in half when in a laptop. Mobility sacrifices reliability for active parts.
4: Yes. Buy a new battery or request manufacturer replacement if you think the battery is dying (losing it's ability to hold a proper charge)
5: Core2Duo mobile probably 1.8 or 2GHz, 3 or 4GB of DDR2 (667 or 800MHz), HDD size of your choice, screen size of your choice (I tend to stick with 15.6's) DVD OD, 9600m GPU is what I recommend. More is too expensive, less doesn't do enough.

This is the right place :)

What do you consider "gaming"? that will help to determine what sort of mobile GPU is right.

first off I like your location- I'm on a boat. haha :)

I've seen quite a lot of intel Q9000 quad cores that seem to be the highest laptop processors next to i7? Am I wrong? I havent done that part of research YET. But Im sure quad core is better than any dual core? How is the ATI vs. Nvidia gpus on laptops? As for gaming- Im wanting to play games such as- Left for Dead. DeadRising2, Call of Duty2, New splinter cell coming up as well as the new Alan Wake coming up. Looking for decent fps..50fps avg.

There's the Q9000 and one other I can't remember which follows Intel's typical game - Increase the multi by 1x and charge twice over the original price.

Yeah, I'd have to say I would get an I7/Q9000 lappy, but they are quite expensive.

Probably a G92 mobile GPU (9800GTm, GTS250m - both the G92 GPU) is in order, then. The 9600m might not perform so hot.

tbh, I RARELY hear of any decent ATi mobile GPU. They use too much power to be reasonably applicable to a mobile situation.

oh so the ATI have a higher power consumption than all nvidia cards? or most? What are the top 5 nvidia laptop gpus for performance?

Than most. Nvidia and Intel have always been on top in the laptop industry, while AMD and ATi have always been cheaper. It doesn't really matter in a desktop, but it counts a whole lot in a lappy where every watt makes the difference.

Nvidia's Mobile GPU's

I want an i7 laptop, should I wait till more come out?

I am also looking for a nice GPU.

Heres a few laptops I am looking at
Toshiba Qosmio x505-Q832 around 1500 dollars with a geforce
gts 250m gpu
HP envy 15 for around 1800 with an ati 4830 gpu
ASUS G60J with a GTX 260m, price unknown

im sure theres more out there.looking for something that can play the game AION in highest settings as well as multitask well and have at least 3.5 hours of battery life, if not more. Can anyone help me out? :)

3: Typically, no. The solid state parts make no difference, but OD's (optical drives) and HDD's (hard disk drives) normally have their MTBF (mean time between failure) cut in half when in a laptop. Mobility sacrifices reliability for active parts.

Woah, woah. In half? It's not that much of a dramatic decrease in reliability.

I want an i7 laptop, should I wait till more come out?

I am also looking for a nice GPU.

Heres a few laptops I am looking at
Toshiba Qosmio x505-Q832 around 1500 dollars with a geforce
gts 250m gpu
HP envy 15 for around 1800 with an ati 4830 gpu
ASUS G60J with a GTX 260m, price unknown

im sure theres more out there.looking for something that can play the game AION in highest settings as well as multitask well and have at least 3.5 hours of battery life, if not more. Can anyone help me out? :)

i would not recommend the HP envy at all unless you're travelling a whole ton and even then i'd doubt that its a good buy. it doesnt have a DVD drive built in but it come with an external dvd drive i can see this getting really annoying if you're going to use it a lot. to make up for that it has up to 10 hours of battery life. i'd recommend the dell studio xps 16, i have the older xps laptop and it runs really well.

Back
Top Bottom