Spammers

setishock

Wizard of Wires
I have been cruising through the forum sections and run on to spammer after spammer.
It's not good to let them sit there as they get picked up by search engines and other spammer aholes see that. It leads them to thinks your shields are not up and they swoop in and do their thing.
It also shows which sections you have here that are not real active. If spammer threads and posts can sit un-noticed for several days it also means the section is for the most part unused and is dead weight.
It only takes a second to hit the report button and let the mods know you found one.

I always report spam. Is there a way to ask a question that only humans would know to the registration?

You can do questions like:
What is this forum about? ( one word please )
What is the opposite of day?
What are the first three numbers of pi?
How many tires are on a normal car?

The real goal is to make enough questions to keep it at random.

We need something, the amount of spam I have moved and the amount of spammers I have banned the last few days is ridiculous.

Agreed something should be put in place. I report every oz of spam i encounter, always have, but avoidance is better than relief.

Perhaps if that question thing gets the go ahead we could start a little thread for the users to write the questions

If the answers are archived, the bots/spammers will know them. I don't know how, but they will.

Hmm. It appears there is some options within vb to increase the difficulty of the captcha system, I'll give those a try. Another option is to take on more mods. I'll have to check if there are specific time zones were our mod cover is weakest

Night time, David, night time. In the colonies that is. I think some one on at night would have the duty of skimming the threads and specifically look for spam threads and posts. This person would also have to edit out member "reported post" in threads so the thread flows back like it was.

As for a good defense, well, that's a never ending battle. We think up a way and next day they have it figured out.
The price of peace is eternal vigilance.

Back
Top Bottom