Buying Extra RAM....help?

Why is everyone pointing out viruses, malware, and aging components? He clearly mentions that he's only running 1GB of RAM... you should all realize that as the bottleneck immediately, especially when he mentions running multiple programs as being slow.

Sure, other things should be taken into account, but 1GB of RAM? He needs to upgrade.

According to Acer's specs, it looks like your board supports up to 4GB using two DIMMs, running at 667Mhz.

Here's one example of what you'll need: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231135

You'd buy that product (comes with two separate sticks of RAM), you'd remove what you're currently using, and you'd pop these two sticks into the slots.

Voila, a faster computer.

Chris

Why is everyone pointing out viruses, malware, and aging components? He clearly mentions that he's only running 1GB of RAM... you should all realize that as the bottleneck immediately, especially when he mentions running multiple programs as being slow.
It amazes me that people will jump in and suggest buying new hardware without having nearly enough information to answer the problem first... slowness when multiple programs are running doesn't mean you should just go out and buy some RAM! There's LOTS of things that could cause that. So, a few questions that will help narrow the problem down:

- What operating system are you running? Is it still the one that came with the computer (XP perhaps? Or Vista?)
- Are the games and applications that are running slowly now new, or were they running perfectly fine in the past and have suddenly started to slow down to unusable levels recently?
- Did the change occur suddenly or was it quite gradual over a period of time?
- Have you de-fragmented your hard drive and run chkdsk recently?
- Have you run memtest recently? If so was all the RAM good?

If you can answer all the above questions properly then people will be able to give much more informed answers as to what's going on.

I highly recommend you run ATF Cleaner (it will remove temp files and delete lots of things taking up room). It typically will clean up between 1-3 Gb of temp files.

I also recommend you download/run MalwareBytes. AVG is anti-virus but not anti-malware/spyware. MalwareBytes is a good program to use with AVG.

If you do all the suggestions of berry120 as well as both of these, then I'd say get the RAM upgrade.

I think the best advice is to first clean up your system make sure registry is good and no Malware or virus. Then make sure windows is also up to date and all drivers as well. If at this point you don't dee any change you should look at hardware like RAM.

Back
Top Bottom