Removing a program completely

flxjones

BSOD
I recently abby software on my pc. Now I want to completely remove it but I can't. What i mean is, that after i "uninstalled" the application, there are still folders of abby, even H-Keys. The reason i want to completely uninstall is because i want to re-install (dont ask why) but the previous installation settings appear with the new installation. Thanks

Some badly written software can do this, and short of using a 3rd party uninstaller that's tracked what it's installed (and can therefore revert it), your only option is often to find what you can and remove it by hand.

I'd suggest removing all the suspicious looking folders and perhaps delete suspect registry keys as well (you can usually tell what ones they are.) Obviously only delete registry keys if you're sure though, and make a backup first...!

What he said and also try running CCleaner when you're done (for the registry stuff, especially).

thanks for the advice but ive tried that already. i've tried ccleaner, removing h-keys under software for both local and current. i've also gone to the extent of doing a system restore. idk what else to do. is there anything else i should do?? thanks

Unfortunately, the next step would be a format and reinstallation of the OS. At least, that's what I would do. But then again, I like to cut to the chase rather than waste of bunch of time running around, trying things that may or may not work. Format and reinstall always works...

Back
Top Bottom