Desperate for wireless

metuutem

Solid State Member
hi this is my current wireless adapter; bought it at wal mart, prolly should have reviewed it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833150018

i am getting a signal so low it doesn't work. in my house it has to travel 3 rooms over, 1 floor down, and a stairwell. to top it off, this house is so damn old the joists are way too thick and the paint is lead.

i need a wireless router adapter combo with the strongest/ fastest signal recommended. im talking signals that give you cancer lol. i cannot do hardwiring because the house is riddled with squirrels that would chew through it.

if you guys can help/recommend something i would greaty appreciate it. thank you

i cannot do hardwiring because the house is riddled with squirrels that would chew through it.
I'd recommend some armoured CAT5 personally - depending on the situation it sounds like most, if not all wireless adapters may struggle there. What router are you using? More importantly, is it g or n?

If you really want as good a signal as you can get from a wireless adapter, have a look at the Alfa AWUS036H 1000mW.

the router i believe is netgear wg3211 G. my adapter is the n above. i will double check the router when i get home.

by armored cats, do you mean encasing the cable in steel like the other wires in this old house? how much would that cost?

edit:
That alfa looks promising for the price; whats the router?

that alfa looks nice
while your at it, add one of these
a 16 dBi antenna will knock the socks off of everything
you WILL get a good signal :D
hopefully

It does sound like maybe hardlined would be the way to go.

However 'N' is supposed to have a much greater range so if you already have an N adapter, it might work to just get an N router...

I'm one of these guys that doesn't like using wireless unless I have to - yes, cables take a bit of time to run, but then after an hour or so's work you've got a more secure, more reliable and faster connection than you'll get with wireless. So I'd personally go down the armoured cat5 route (prices vary, shop around where you are and you might find a good deal) rather than trying to increase the wireless strength as much as you can.

The other problem with wireless is that while we can suggest N routers (which, as pointed out above do have a much better range then G) and powerful wireless cards, they're still not guaranteed to work - they might, but you could end up spending £100+ just to find you're in the same situation you were before. Running an armoured cable may cost a bit initially, but you can be pretty sure it'll work afterwards!

all right guys, thanks a ton. i have decided to ultimately hardwire it. I guess i can get it done for 150-160. That way i can get a sure thing, and something thats faster than wireless anyway.

Thanks a lot!

Back
Top Bottom