My dad died from cancer today.

I'm sorry. It's a truly unfortunate event. I can relate to that feeling, more or less; my grandpa died of lung cancer in 2006.

My deepest condolences to you and your family. Stick with your loved ones. They're the biggest asset you have at the moment.

Hey man, hang in there. I know how you feel. I lost my great uncle last year to cancer; I was also there in his final hours. Take 01001010's advice...stick with your family right now...everyone will need each other.

I will quote from the words written on this booklet: I don't know what to call it, but the priest handed this out at my grandpa's funeral (it was actually mailed to me since I don't live in Brazil; in fact, last time I was there, he was still alive, so I haven't felt the full effects of his passage). Anyway, it contains a prayer and his picture. I find this a beautiful message (and I'm not very religious)

Rough translation:

"I go to God, but I won't forget those whom on Earth I've loved."

"Death is nothing. I will simply pass to the other side. I am me. You are you. What we were to each other, we remain to each other. Call me what you have always called me. Talk to me the way you've always talked to me. Don't change your tone to one sad or solemn. Continue with the things that made us laugh. Pray, smile, think about me, pray with me. Let my name be pronounced at home like it has always been. Without emphasis, without a sad face. Life continues to mean what it meant. Continues to be what it was. The rope of unity hasn't broken. Why would I be out of your thoughts just because I'm out of your sight? I'm not far. Simply on the other side of the road. You will see, everything will be OK. You will rediscover my heart, and in it you will rediscover a tenure more pure. Dry your tears. And if you love me, you won't cry again."

Again, it's a very beautiful and strong message. I recount it to you because I hope it will do you the good it does me.

I'm truly sorry man. It's never an easy thing to lose your loved ones. Keep your chin up, you'll get through this. I'm sure that even though he's no longer here, he wants nothing less than for you to be happy.

Back
Top Bottom