OS Not Found. Virus?

Many of our members are trained professionals in the IT field. We know what we are talking about. Sadly, much more than many technical support lines. Horrible comparison with that situation, by the way.

+1 not doubting any ones knowledge by reading on the forums there seems to be a lot of educated confident people that know what they are doing

my point is them being the manufacturer they are going to be the ones to say "that hard drive sounds like it has a defect we will put the new one in the mail"

there are people out there that know more about my equipment than i do im sure but im still the one that gets the last say in whether or not this is a warranty issue or whether you are going to get a bill in the mail

p.s. my comparison was epic :cool:

If you format it and reinstall os, make sure you do a full format, if there is an issue with the harddrive more than likely it will not make it through the full format. Also partitions over 500GBs are not that stable, I would suggest doing an OS partition of 250GBs and a DATA partition of the remaining amount. This will solve any issues of unstable partition size.

If you format it and reinstall os, make sure you do a full format, if there is an issue with the harddrive more than likely it will not make it through the full format. Also partitions over 500GBs are not that stable, I would suggest doing an OS partition of 250GBs and a DATA partition of the remaining amount. This will solve any issues of unstable partition size.

great information, thanks, i'll do that. i'll also download the seagate tool and check it.

I unplugged my comptuer and took it with me for a trip. When I got there, I hooked it up and turned it on to find the message saying OS not found. After a bit of troubleshooting, I decide to take off the battery for the motherboard. Turned it back on and it worked. But my video is not the same anymore, internet certificates are missing, icons are missing on some programs. Could this have been the work of a virus?

Sounds like rough treatment to me. More like the head skipped over the platter while it was being transported. Could be the head park sequence failed to run at shut down of the computer. You really have to wang a modern hard drive to do damage to it while shut down but it happens.
If you also check seagate's track record you'll find they have a very unacceptable track record as far as failures are concerned that are related to out of the box or shortly after.
As prescribed, run the diag and if it finds an issue use the built in RMA adviser to take your next course of action.

To btcchris. Son you sure know how to win friends and influence people, don't ya?

great information, thanks, i'll do that. i'll also download the seagate tool and check it.

If you can (and haven't run it already) get the bootable CD image and boot off of that (Seatools for DOS). It's going to yield better results than the one from windows. Every now and then I've seen tech get picky about which one you run when calling in (but usually it's no issue). One thing to make sure to take note of is the SMART status. Seagate always asks if you know that.

And sorry yankie but one last off-topic post for me. btchris, that was a warning. Nothing negitive happened because of it. It only serves as a record for us that you were asked to change your signature length. There is no reason to get bent out of shape about it.

As far as manufacturers go I prefer Western Digital, They seem to last, and if they do fail(cause they do have a few cheap lines aka cavier lol) they will warrante it no problem.

Back
Top Bottom