Buying new system ....but which one!?!?! (i5 vs i7)

LTH80

Beta member
i'm buying a new system (FINALLY) and I'm having trouble deciding which one.
Here they are...

System number 1
Specifications
Processor Intel® Core™ i5 Processor 750
Motherboard Intel P55 Chipset
Graphics AMD ATI Radeon HD4890 / 1G of GDDR5 memory
Memory 2x2G 1600MHz DDR3 gaming memory
Hard Drive 500GB 7200RPM SATA
Optical Drive 22x DVD+/-RW
Chassis Velocity IW-C583T Mid Tower
Power Supply 500W Power Supply (3x18A on 12V)
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

System number 2
Specifications
Processor Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 920
Motherboard Intel X58 Chipset (x16, or x8 + x8)
Graphics nVidia GTX260 SC with 896MB memory
Memory 3x2G 1600MHz DDR3 gaming memory
Hard Drive 500GB 7200RPM SATA
Optical Drive 22x DVD+/-RW
Chassis ANTEC Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case
Power Supply 850W Power Supply
Operating System Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Obv I save some money on the first one and I get a really capable machine. But i'm thinking in a year and half or two years am I going to wish I spent a little more and got the better system, faster CPU and better graphics card???

Is it worth it spend that much more on the processor? The socket for the i5 is actaully newer, so does that mean it will be more upgradable? which one will likely be more upgradeable??? ...because I could spend the extra money on a second video card instead.

Just wondering what the more knowledgeable ppl think about it, thanks in advance :)

Based on what Intel has released. I would go for the I7. They say they are releasing their hexa-cores on the 1366 platform. And I'm also not sure if Intel purchased the rights to SLI on their P55 chipset. I know they did for the SkullTrails and the X58's. All in all, I'd go with the I7. Gives you that "top dawg" feeling :p

Though I can't exactly say the GTX 260 is better than the 4890. Depends on which 260 you get (black edition - XFX, Core 216 - EVGA and many others) or just the standard which has 192 stream processors. Get a Core 216 stock and OC it up. You could even grab an EVGA X58 SLI and put three of those GTX 260 Core 216's in SLI :O

Though I can't exactly say the GTX 260 is better than the 4890. Depends on which 260 you get (black edition - XFX, Core 216 - EVGA and many others) or just the standard which has 192 stream processors. Get a Core 216 stock and OC it up. You could even grab an EVGA X58 SLI and put three of those GTX 260 Core 216's in SLI :O

I believe it to be this one...

eVGA e-GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 55nm Super Clocked 896MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDTV-Out

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX23070%28ME%29.aspx

what RAM are you getting and why are you going for windonws 7 ultimate? if you want XP mode then get professional if you dont then go for premium. you'll save a bunch of money

Memory serves me right and the i7's that are on the same socket as the i5's (socket 11xx) currently outperform the i7's on the 3166. If I can find the article I'll link it. If it's true, you might wanna look into that.

I would go with system 2, because most software and game manufacturers are starting to go pro Intel and Nvidia. I remember when I bought microsoft combat flight simulator and had an ATI X1650, not a bad card, but the game would just shake, because it didn't work well with the ATI drivers. These are reasons I would suggest going with system 2. Plus you already stated you are looking down the road, so spend alittle more now, save alot more later.

Memory serves me right and the i7's that are on the same socket as the i5's (socket 11xx) currently outperform the i7's on the 3166. If I can find the article I'll link it. If it's true, you might wanna look into that.

i7 8xx's? :| Not sure. 8xx is lower wattage, 200M/T's faster than the i7 920/40/50's 4.6G/T QPI, and some say a bit worse for overclocking. Oh and you lose the triple channel RAM. :\

Go with System #2 and Don't look back!!! You will regret if you don't. :)

X58 MOBO is more future proof for the next years release of Intels new CPU.

i7 Will be just a bit faster, but you will not see the difference.

ANTEC Nine Hundred is a much better case in my opinion.

You also get Win 7 Ultimate instead of Home (not a big difference tho)

6GB of RAM insted of 4GB

850W Power Supply is the way to go!

System #2 all the way!!!

Back
Top Bottom