Need help upgrading my Processor

marco1

Beta member
Hi everyone, I have a Dell XPS Desktop, its a few years old and I have an Intel 3.2 Dual Core Processor. I want to upgrade my processor to a newer quad core one and I was wondering how I would go about doing that? Also, I don't know much about processors but I'm looking for one that is optimal for gaming. The price I am looking at for the processor is 200-300 dollars (CAD), but I would pay more if it was really worth it. Could you guys help me pick one out and guide me through the installation process?

it should be socket 775 so there is a ton of processors out there you can upgrade to... there is an upgrade forum at the top that can help you out but that processor you got should be ok, it can handle call of duty modern warfare 2 its an ok processor lol.

what is in your computer now as far as ram video card hard drive, you can do many upgrades that will make a night and day difference before changing the processor...

imo order some matching ram off line, walk into best buy and just get a video card off the shelf, and if you want i hear good things about the 10k rpm hard drives that are out that will load game much faster

CPU : Intel 3.2 Ghz Dual Core
RAM : 3 GB cheap stuff
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512 MB
HD : 250 GB

I am also thinking of maybe just building a new computer alltogether or would that be a waste?

CPU : Intel 3.2 Ghz Dual Core
RAM : 3 GB cheap stuff
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512 MB
HD : 250 GB

I am also thinking of maybe just building a new computer alltogether or would that be a waste?

I would suggest going with a new system. The XPS use a specific board that screw pattern is meant for an XPS. Just go with a regular Custom Build, so you wont have these issues in the future. Also with it being a couple years old your board may not support quad core. Just because a board is LGA775 doesn't mean it supports quad core. Shoot me an email if you need on my site, and I can build a system for you on newegg, and you can order it send it to your house and build it yourself. More than likely the 8800GTS is just regular PCI Express X16, and prices are soo cheap you need a good 1gb GForce pci express 2.0. So you can keep your same harddrive, dvd rw drive, and possibly memory depending on speed, if its lower than ddr2 533 then I would get new memory also. You can also use the COA off your dell XPS(not suppose to do this lol but you can and it saves 100$) So you wont be dumping too much money in to this. Let me know if you need any help.

Shoot me an email if you need on my site?
That's not acceptable behavior here. This is an open forum where we post questions and answer in the open to benefit every one.
And I have to admit these kids here are pretty damn good at piecing systems together. Give them a budget to work with and stand back.

Shoot me an email if you need on my site?
That's not acceptable behavior here. This is an open forum where we post questions and answer in the open to benefit every one.
And I have to admit these kids here are pretty damn good at piecing systems together. Give them a budget to work with and stand back.

If you read the whole post I made, him emailing me on my site, was about me putting what I thought would be a good custom build together, and then EMAILING HIM THE NEWEGG CART. And unacceptable for me not to want everyone in this forum(so far been all good people but i'm sure there are some bad eggs) to have my business email. Also on my site there is a number, in which they can contact me on personally, again something I don't just anyone posting. I post answers to quests.. Check again my friend. Sorry if you missread or missunderstood the meaning of the post. Have a good day.

P.S. Anyone is open to emailing me personally with questions, sometimes emails get responded to quicker than posts on here, maybe thats why they want to email me...I'm here to help anyone.

Back
Top Bottom