ram not being recognized?

drivengsxr1000

Solid State Member
i had just installed 4gb of ram and for some reason it is only recognizing 2.5gb does anybody have any suggestions on why this is happening?

os windows xp

yes because 32-bit windows xp will show 3.25gb RAM when you have 4gb installed. Chris did you install the same type of RAM you had before? It has to be exactly the same speed and type or else your system will only recognize one type of ram installed.

If you are sure you have the same RAM installed, then edit your boot.ini file and put /3GB in your OS boot line, it should fix the problem.

yes because 32-bit windows xp will show 3.25gb RAM when you have 4gb installed.
Not always. It'll usually show somewhere between 3-4GB, depending on a number of things. As said above though if you're running something like SLI / crossfire it's to be expected - might be a good idea to post your full system specs here.

this is the original poster chris

yes it is a 32 bit os that i am running

i do have a bfg 8500 gt oc installed

the computer did have 2 gigs of ram installed and i went to comp usa and bought a 2 gig upgrade but i can not be sure as to whether that i got the same exact memory that was already in the computer

however it just does not make much since to me that it only recognized 2.5 gigs i would think that if it did not recognize the new ram it would still only show 2 gigs

^^Use your original account, don't make a second.

What about your sound card? if that has any memory on it that will effect what's shown as well. And does BIOS show all four gigs?

thanks for the pm or email on the second account before baning it...

obviously there was a problem with the account or i would not have went through the headache of making a second and third one, the first one will not let me log in even after reseting the password i have tried it twice, and now i can not log into the second one to get the first one figured out now...

can you please ban the first account and leave this one (the good one) open

and yes i have a different sound card in there its an cheapo from walmart a sfx card before i go through doing anything crazy im gona take all the ram out and double check everything on them to make sure they are the exact same thing and if not i will bring them back to comp usa, but still the 2.5gig is what is rattling my brain unless one of the sticks are faulty... but another thing is when i check with cpuz it sais 4 gigs installed :/

Its very possible that your video card, even if its a dedicated card, is allocating some of your system ram for video ram. Even cards with dedicated video memory, or boards with dedicated video memory can do this. And again if its a 32bit OS you will not read over 3GBs in windows. Now you said it originally had 2gbs of memory, was that 2x1GB sticks, or a 2gb stick? Cause if you're using 2X1gb and then a 2gb stick you can have issues also. Always go 2x2 or 2x1 or 4x1. My website has my number on it feel free to call anytime before 6pm eastern time

thanks for the pm or email on the second account before baning it...

obviously there was a problem with the account or i would not have went through the headache of making a second and third one, the first one will not let me log in even after reseting the password i have tried it twice, and now i can not log into the second one to get the first one figured out now...

can you please ban the first account and leave this one (the good one) open

Just an fyi, I didn't need to leave any account unbanned. The rules of the forums state that anyone with a second account gets banned. I could have banned both. If you were having issues, you should have PM'ed someone, or said so in your first post with that account.

Back
Top Bottom