DVI vs HDMI

dhaval_1920

In Runtime
I am building a new computer and I am really confused as to what kinda video card to get and what kinda connection I should primarily use DVI or HDMI. I have a 40" Samsung with VGA as well as HDMI connection. I am a big fan of Nvidia cards and as far as my research goes, Nvidia doesnt make any cards with HDMI connection where as ATI does. I have tried using DVI to HDMI and the result is very choppy; you could hardly read anything. So I was also wondering if HDMI to HDMI is going to make any difference and should I go with nvidia or ati?

I will appreciate the input here....

I have no idea what you were doing, but the DVI to HDMI cord i use for my TV works wanders and looks fantastic.

You have to have your resolution and settings set right it sounds like.

the only difference between DVI and HDMI is that DVI doesnt send sound signals. both will works equally well for just images.

the DVI to HDMI cord shouldn't be a problem, like sniper said. I'm using the same thing on my 24" monitor and it works perfectly.

Obviously HDMI to HDMI would eliminate the need to use the adapter, however both will (and should) work flawlessly. Go for it.

Chris

Just use DVI for your computer monitor since the HDMI port on a video card isn't going to send sound and you'll have to run a separate sound cable either way. They are both HD outputs.

HDMI can transfer data faster than DVI, hence allowing you higher resolutions with higher refresh rates. I would suggest going FULL HDMI. Yes the DVI to HDMI is good, but with a solid graphis card you can push 1080p no problem through HDMI. And keep in mind when using a DVI to HDMI you aren't getting the full potential of either, because you are converting a signal, anytime you convert a signal you loose quality. Same issues back with the vga to dvi adapters. HDMI all the way my friend.

Wow, you are so full of shit. DVI and HDMI are exactly the same in terms of picture quality. HDMI simply has the capability to send audio alongside video. That has nothing to do with resolution and higher refresh rates.

I just got a DVI cable. DVI cables do have the capability to send audio through the cable as well. BUT, most DVI devices just don't support it. You need something that will trasmit the sound, i.e. Radeon 3800+ GPU and a DVI cable with extra pins.

Back
Top Bottom