router question - n vs g

jimh

Beta member
my router died and i need to get a new one. i was going to get an "n", but i checked the specs on my acer netbook and it only supports thru "g".

so will a wireless "n" work on my netbook or do i need to get another "g"?

thanks.

Chances are your router will be backwards compatible with 802.11g, so it will work - but you'll only get the old g standard speeds.

thanks, that makes sense. "n" it is. now all i have to do is figure out "which one" to buy.

Why would you get N??
Unless you're planning to upgrade your laptop it won't make sense, you'll just be wasting money for speed you can't use.

My understanding was that he had N based stuff as well, but wanted to make sure stuff that only supported G still worked. If that's the case then great, go ahead and get an N router.

As said about though, if you haven't got any N equipment and you're not planning to upgrade any time soon then it's a waste - just get a G compatible one and save some money!

My understanding was that he had N based stuff as well, but wanted to make sure stuff that only supported G still worked. If that's the case then great, go ahead and get an N router.

thats correct. our laptops all support "n", my netbook supports "g".

Back
Top Bottom