Ok. so Obama's health-care legilslation passed.

[QUOTE
FDA ensures that the food we eat is safe and wholesome, that the cosmetics we use won't harm us, and that medicines, medical devices, and radiation-emitting consumer products such as microwave ovens are safe and effective. FDA also oversees feed and drugs for pets and farm animals. Authorized by Congress to enforce the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and several other public health laws, the agency monitors the manufacture, import, transport, storage, and sale of $1 trillion worth of goods annually, at a cost to taxpayers of about $3 a person.

Products found to be unfit for consumers are withdrawn from the marketplace, either by voluntary recall or by court-ordered seizure. These products usually are destroyed, or in some cases, they are reconditioned to be in compliance with FDA regulations. Recent recalls.
]/QUOTE]

This makes me laugh. You know China discovered that some of it's manufacturers were making baby food formula that contained a large amount of a dangerous chemical and they ordered the production of the formula stopped when the realized young babies in orphanages and adoption centers were getting sick and readily dying.
The Chinese government notified the U.S. government and the FDA about what they had discovered but the U.S. government and the FDA refused t notify the public about it. It was not only found in baby formulas. It was also found in powdered milk in candy products manufactured in China. This is not the Chinese government trying to hurt us. It was their attempt to help us, but the U.S. government wants more money. Now I don't know about you guys, but putting a few billion dollars above the lives of tens of thousands of Americans is outright murder and corruption on the half of the U.S. government.
I can show another example where human lives are sold for profit.
The Ford Pinto. Other than the rear-mounted gas tank that exploded if you were rear-ended... There is another problem... The lugs on the wheel spindles were made out of a weak steel. It wasn't likely to break. But here's Ford's thinking.(I'm making these numbers up for my example, but you can get the idea)
It cost's $500k to put stronger lugs on every 1000 cars. 1 in every 1000 cars is likely to have the lugs break while driving, causing the car to flip, and the passengers inside die. This will cause a lawsuit, costing Ford around $250k... Which made more profit?

I have more examples too... There was a plant in India, that had terrible safety, and it eventually blew up or something, release a ton of toxins and killed like 10,000 people. But since only men over 18 were counted in the actual deaths since the gov't owned 49% of the factory... the number of deaths was brought down to about 1800 officially...(does that make sense?) and the company was sued for like 2,000 per person, and a couple million by the town or something. Not like the company cared though. It ended up costing them a couple million total, and they probably made a TON more than that in profit by not fixing the safety shit and employing the right number of night custodial staff and what not.

So basically, companies are dirty, profit is the main goal.

I do get your reasoning and logic. And I whole -heartedly agree that the sole purpose of a company is to make a profit. And if they do something that costs thousands of lives, well OK so-be-it. But the government, especially a democratic one is NOT supposed to be like that. Its job is to protect and ensure the well-fare of its people. Not to make money. And this is honestly one of the biggest problems I have with our government. It's more of a company than a government.

I do get your reasoning and logic. And I whole -heartedly agree that the sole purpose of a company is to make a profit. And if they do something that costs thousands of lives, well OK so-be-it. But the government, especially a democratic one is NOT supposed to be like that. Its job is to protect and ensure the well-fare of its people. Not to make money. And this is honestly one of the biggest problems I have with our government. It's more of a company than a government.
Yeah, exactly, the gov't needs money too. And you agree with the fact that companies can make a profit at the expense of human lives?!?
We just had an entire section on the ethics in engineering.

Yup, but what does that have to do with the price of rice in China? A bad bill bill is a bad bill no matter how you slice it.
You are biased. Whether you think you are or not, you are.

Yeah, exactly, the gov't needs money too. And you agree with the fact that companies can make a profit at the expense of human lives?!?
We just had an entire section on the ethics in engineering.

No. I do not believe that it is right to make money at the expense of human lives. Or any life at all for that matter. But business is business and we live in a mostly* free country where businesses can do what they wish mostly. I do not believe in the least that a company needs to use human lives to make a profit. There are other ways to make far more money. It's just sad that so many businesses are willing to use human lives to increase their profits.

No. I do not believe that it is right to make money at the expense of human lives. Or any life at all for that matter. But business is business and we live in a mostly* free country where businesses can do what they wish mostly. I do not believe in the least that a company needs to use human lives to make a profit. There are other ways to make far more money. It's just sad that so many businesses are willing to use human lives to increase their profits.
Oh, yea, it's bad.

Back
Top Bottom